FC Dallas Fined $75,000 of Allocation Money and $25,000 for Roster Violation
October 6, 2017 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Major League Soccer has fined FC Dallas $75,000 of General Allocation Money and $25,000 for a roster violation during the September 30 match against Orlando City SC.
Prior to the match, FC Dallas listed Michael Barrios in the club's starting lineup as part of the official match day roster. The official match day roster is submitted 60 minutes before kickoff. A player who is removed from the official match roster's starting lineup within 60 minutes prior to kickoff may not participate in the match, with the exception of the goalkeeper.
Fifteen minutes prior to kickoff, FC Dallas requested Barrios be moved to the list of substitutes and Tesho Akindele moved from the list of substitutes to the starting lineup. The referee crew incorrectly allowed the change to occur and notified Orlando City SC of the change to the official match day roster prior to the match.
Based on the change to the match day roster, Dallas wrongly believed that Barrios could participate in the match as a substitute. Barrios entered the game in the 84th minute, replacing Maxi Urruti.
"The referee crew's administrative error and decision to place Michael Barrios on the official match roster was carefully considered while making the decision to sanction FC Dallas for this rule violation," said MLS Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott. "However, all of our clubs are aware of game day roster rules and FC Dallas should have removed Barrios from the official match roster."
FIFA delegates management of roster rules and sanctions for violations to the respective leagues throughout the world. There is no international rule for changes to a match day roster.
MLS Media Resources
420 Fifth Ave. 7th Floor New York, NY, 10018, USA
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 6, 2017
- GAME NOTES: Sounders FC 2 at Tulsa Roughnecks FC - October 7, 2017 - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision: Week 30 - MLS
- Here Are 5 Things You Should Know About The Match - FC Dallas
- FC Dallas Statement on MLS Ruling - FC Dallas
- SPR Travels to Take on OKC Energy FC on Sunday Afternoon - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Fined $75,000 of Allocation Money and $25,000 for Roster Violation - MLS
- Invitation - Press Conference - Montreal Impact
- MATCH PREVIEW MNUFC vs. Sporting Kansas City - Minnesota United FC
- Preview: Sporting KC Visits Minnesota United FC on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Season Finale on 10/15, We'Re at Our - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.