Farrell Humbled to be Top Pick, Eager for Next Step
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - Andrew Farrell took a brief moment to soak up the prestige associated with being the number one overall pick in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft; key word being "brief."
Almost immediately the former Louisville center back "" and current member of the Generation adidas class "" turned his attention to work. After all, he's off to Casa Grande, Ariz., for an extended preseason trip with the New England Revolution on Monday.
"It's exciting," Farrell said as a smile spread wide across his face. "A lot of hard work has been put in throughout my career and a lot of support from my family and teammates and everybody. I'm just excited. Obviously the number one pick is very prestigious and I'm very thankful for that, but also, I'm ready. I'm ready to start working on Monday."
"He's humble and he's hungry," Revolution head coach Jay Heaps said to describe the first number one pick in club history. "For us, that's exactly what you want to hear. You want to hear a guy enjoy it for the day "" the number one pick "" but he knows tomorrow he's going to roll up his sleeves and get to work with us."
Farrell's character shone through when the Revolution's technical staff had a chance to sit down with the 20-year-old during the MLS Player Combine, which wrapped up earlier this week in Lauderhill, Fla. Talent was never in question with regards to a player most experts pegged as the clear-cut top choice in this year's draft class, but it was Farrell's selfless attitude which put the Revs over the top in their decision to trade up and secure his services.
"When you sit down and you're meeting these [players], you're looking for what kind of people they are and he struck the staff as a very humble, very composed young man, and someone we could see ourselves working with," said Heaps. "You do the research before you go down there, you watch the games, you go to the games, you see them on film, but then those are the little tipping points that have to meet your expectations. When they exceed your expectations, then you become excited about it."
The Revs are also very excited about what Farrell will bring on the field, including versatility to the backline. Composed in possession and athletically gifted, Farrell projects as a central defender but also has the ability to play right back or in defensive midfield. While Heaps cautioned that his staff doesn't expect Farrell to be a surefire starter by opening day, he does believe the newly-minted rookie has an incredibly bright future.
"He's very composed with the ball defensively and he's good playing out of the back," said Heaps. "That's something we like to do just from an offensive standpoint. He's someone that can pick players out in front of him ... He's not the biggest guy in the room, but he's strong in the air, he's physical. All those things added up to a player that we felt was a little bit ahead of everyone else in this Combine."
For Farrell's part, he's flattered by the praise and attention he's received in recent weeks, but now his focus is locked solely on proving his status as a number one pick, particularly after the Revs showed so much faith by trading up into the top spot to bring him to New England.
"That's very exciting because obviously it means they want me and they have me in their plans," said Farrell. "I've got to pay them back by working hard every day."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 17, 2013
- Second-Round Picks Focus on Attack, Goalkeeping - New England Revolution
- MLS Announces 2012 Club and Executive Award Winners - MLS
- Farrell Humbled to be Top Pick, Eager for Next Step - New England Revolution
- Union Select Don Anding and Stephen Okai in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Philadelphia Union
- Crew Selects Two Players at 2013 MLS SuperDraft in Indianapolis - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Selects Two Players in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting KC Selects MF Mikey Lopez in MLS SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Select Dylan Tucker-Gangnes in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Portland Timbers
- Impact Selects Four Players at 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo Select Jason Johnson and Jimmy Nealis in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Select Emery Welshman After a Pair of Deals - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Make Three Selections in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- New England Revolution Select Andrew Farrell with First Overall Selection in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Selects Two Players in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Select Four at 2013 MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- Tickets for D.C. United's Home Opener to Go on Sale Saturday - D.C. United
- FC Dallas Picks up Two Players in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Colorado Rapids Select Three in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Select Yazid Atouba Emane in Second Round of 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
- San Jose Earthquakes Add Muller, Delgado in MLS SuperDraft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Select Striker/Wingers Manneh and Hurtado in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Red Bulls Select Midfielder Ian Christianson in 2013 MLS SuperDraft Second Round - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Selects Maryland Defender Taylor Kemp with 17th Overall Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Chivas USA Selects Midfielder Carlos Alvarez with Second-Overall Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Introduces Ivy Funds as Club's First-Ever Jersey Sponsor - Sporting Kansas City
- Toronto FC Select Kyle Bekker with Third Overall Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Toronto FC
- Revs Draft Andrew Farrell with #1 Pick in MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- Updated Selection Order Now Available for 2013 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs Javier Morales - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Sign Chilean Winger Kevin Harbottle - Colorado Rapids
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire F Mike Fucito from Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Acquire Second-Round Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft from San Jose - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.