Familia Earns 10th Win In Gnats Shutout Of Rome
SAVANNAH, Ga. - Jeurys Familia (10-6) became the first Sand Gnats pitcher to record double-digit victories since prior to the 2004 season as the right hander earned the win in Savannah's, 2-0, shutout over Rome Sunday afternoon. Familia, reliever Mike Lynn and Jimmy Johnson converted on the Gnats ninth shutout of the 2009 season.
The 19-year-old from San Cristobal, D.R. didn't have his best stuff early on but was able to work through the first two innings without any runs coming across. He stranded five runners through the first two innings before going on to retire 10 men in a row. Familia faced two batters in the fifth before turning it over to Lynn, who worked three scoreless, hitless innings.
Josh Satin and Michael Moras provided Familia with all the offense he'd need as each had a sacrifice fly in the ballgame. For Moras, it was his first RBI as a Sand Gnat. Nick Giarraputo, who had his 10-game hitting streak snapped yesterday, bounced back with a multi-hit effort on Sunday going 2-for-3.
Lynn has yet to allow an earned run in his four appearances with the Sand Gnats spanning 11 innings. Johnson notched his fourth save with his perfect ninth. The La Mirada, Calif. product hasn't given up a run in a Savannah uniform in his last 17 outings (21.2 IP).
With the win, the Gnats closed down the home portion of the schedule with a win for the third year in a row.
An eight-game road trip begins Monday at 7:05 p.m. in Augusta for the Sand Gnats (29-30, 63-65). LHP Ari Ronick (6-5, 2.63) will start for the GreenJackets while the Gnats have not announced a starter.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 30, 2009
- Drive Can't Hold Onto Lead, Lose 4-3 in Extra Innings - Greenville Drive
- Keedy sends Kannapolis to walk-off loss - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Captains Announce 2010 Schedule - Lake County Captains
- 23 Suns Runs Fuel Sweep Of Shorebirds - Hagerstown Suns
- Morgan Goes 4-For-5 In Power Victory - West Virginia Power
- Augusta's 2-1 Victory Spoils Hopes of Charleston Sweep - Charleston RiverDogs
- Key Break Helps Jackets Avoid Sweep - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads score 6 in 9th, Power hangs on, 9-8 - Hickory Crawdads
- West Virginia Power To Host EERS & BEERS - West Virginia Power
- Hot Rods Play Longest Game In Team History On Sunday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Asheville 16 Inning Marathon Smells Sweet for Rose - Asheville Tourists
- Legends win in 12 innings over Greenville, 4-3 - Lexington Legends
- Familia Earns 10th Win In Gnats Shutout Of Rome - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Captains Win Farewell Game - Lakewood BlueClaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.