April 7, 2008 - ECHL (ECHL) - Fresno Falcons
LAST WEEK: Fresno went 1-2-0 during the final week of the 2007-08 regular season, and clinched the third seed for the National Conference in the Kelly Cup Playoffs. The Falcons concluded the season with an overall record of 42-22-8 for 92 points, and finished in second place of the Pacific Division.
Tuesday, April 1 vs. Stockton FALCONS 4 Thunder 3 (SO)
Fresno prevailed 4-3 over Stockton in the final regular-season game ever at Save Mart Center. The Thunder took three separate one-goal leads, but each time, the Falcons rallied to tie, including for the final time on a Matt O\'Dette power-play goal 18:21 into the second period. The game remained tied through the rest of regulation and overtime, sending the game to a shootout. The Falcons got goals from Stuart MacRae and Brian O\'Hanley in the shootout, while Kris Mayotte turned aside four of the five Stockton shooters to pick up the win.
Friday, April 4 @ Idaho Steelheads 5 FALCONS 1
Idaho seized control early, scoring four first-period goals, and outshooting Fresno 20-0 in the opening period. It was the first time in Falcons\' team history that the team failed to manage a shot on goal in a period. The Steelheads added to the lead in the opening minute of the second period to stretch the lead to 5-0. Joe Van Culin scored the lone goal for Fresno, tallying his fourth goal of the season 14:07 into the second period.
Saturday, April 5 @ Idaho Steelheads 2 FALCONS 1
Fresno wrapped up the regular season with a 2-1 loss to Idaho. After 40 scoreless minutes, the Steelheads had a chance to get on the board early in the third period with a penalty shot, but Jake Moreland stopped the attempt from Taggert Desmet to keep the game scoreless. Desmet finally broke through, giving Idaho a 1-0 lead at the 7:11 mark. But, the Falcons rallied to tie just a few minutes later on a Matt O\'Dette power-play tally. The tie was short lived as Idaho pulled back ahead on a Mark Bomersback goal with 3:01 remaining in regulation. The Falcons pulled Moreland for an extra attacker in the final minute, but were unable to get the equalizer.
THIS WEEK\'S GAMES
Sunday, April 13 vs. Utah 5:00 p.m.
The Falcons open the 2008 Kelly Cup Playoffs against the Utah Grizzlies at Save Mart Center on Sunday.
- Fresno went 6-3-1 against Utah this season (2-2-1 @ Fresno and 4-1-0 @ Utah), and won each of the final four meetings of the season series.
- The Falcons are 13-8-1 all-time against the Grizzlies.
- This is the third straight season that the Falcons have qualified for the Kelly Cup Playoffs. Fresno is 2-2 in series over the last two years.
- Fresno has won the first game in each of its four ECHL playoff series.
- This season marks the second time in its three ECHL seasons that Utah has qualified for the playoffs. The Grizzlies were swept by the Alaska Aces in the first round in 2005-06.
- The Grizzlies are winless in their last six playoff series, spanning three leagues (ECHL, AHL, and IHL). Utah\'s last playoff series win was a 3-0 sweep of Kansas City in the first round of the 1996-97 International Hockey League Playoffs.
- Fresno's 42 wins this season are the second most since the team joined the ECHL (43, 2005-06) and the third most in all-time club history (44, 2000-01).
- Matt O'Dette's seven goals this season ties his profession career high (Quebec - AHL, 2001-02).
- P.O. Beaulieu was the only Falcon to appear in all 72 games this season. It is the second time in his three seasons with Fresno that he has appeared in all 72 games. Beaulieu has missed just one game in his three seasons.
- Luke Curtin ends the season fifth in ECHL history with 384 assists and 11th all-time with 577 points.
- Curtin became the 25th player in ECHL history to appear in 500 career games on Friday against Idaho.
Goals Eizenman 27
Assists Curtin 43
Points Eizenman 66
+/- Marcoux +18
Penalty Minutes Stefanishion 260
Shots Leisenring 181
Power-Play Goals Eizenman 12
Shorthanded Goals Bernard 4
Game-Winning Goals Eizenman 6
Tickets for Falcons home games are available at the Save Mart Center Box Office (9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday) or charge by phone at (559) 485-TIXS. Tickets can also be purchased on-line at www.ticketmaster.com. Discounted group tickets for groups of 20 or more are available by calling the Falcons office at (559) 485-7825.
FALCONS ON THE AIR
All 72 Falcons\' regular season games can be heard on 790 ESPN Radio, The Deuce, and on-line at www.fresnofalcons.com with the Voice of the Falcons, Joe Babik. Each broadcast begins 15 minutes prior to face-off with the Port of Subs Pre-Game Show. In addition, all Falcons games are available to watch on a pay-per-view basis in conjunction with B2 Networks. The B2 Networks feed can be accessed through the Falcons\' website at www.fresnofalcons.com.