Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Worcester, Game #41
Springfield Falcons (25-9-3-3) vs. Worcester Sharks (19-17-1-3)
Friday, January 25, 2013
TICKETS: (413) 739-GOAL/MassMutual Center Box Office/Ticketmaster.com
RADIO: (presented by FalconsWireless.com) WHYN NewsTalk 560 AM/WHYN.com
IN JUST A FEW HOURS...
The Springfield Falcons attempt to extend their winning streak to seven games when they host the Worcester Sharks at 7:00 p.m. Springfield won a sixth-straight game for the third time in franchise history on Wednesday night when it took down the Albany Devils on the road, 4-2. Cody Goloubef, Michael Chaput, Scott Howes, and Tomas Kubalik all scored for the Falcons in the victory, while Allen York made 25 saves for his fourth-straight win. The Falcons enter tonight's action in first place in the Eastern Conference and the AHL with 56 points and with the league's best points percentage of .700.
The first 1,000 fans into the building 12 and under will receive a youth specialty Falcons jersey, courtesy of Columbia Gas of Massachusetts. Fans in attendance on Friday will also have the opportunity to win a brand new, high-definition television courtesy of Manny's TV & Appliances as part of "Flat-Screen Friday."
The Falcons end their weekend in Connecticut on Saturday against the Whale at the XL Center.
Single-game tickets to see the Falcons in 2012-2013 can be purchased at the MassMutual Center Box Office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. through game time on Saturday home dates, and starting four hours prior to Sunday home contests. Fans can also purchase tickets by logging onto Ticketmaster.com. For information about discounted group packages to Falcons home games, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
RECORDS IN SIGHT
Springfield will attempt to tie the second-longest winning streak and the longest points streak in franchise history tonight. The Falcons' record for the longest winning streak is nine games, set from Mar. 6 to 28, 1998. Springfield won seven-straight contests from Mar. 30 to Apr. 12, 1997, its second-longest victory streak. In addition to posting victories in six-consecutive contests, Springfield is on an eight-game points streak (7-0-1-0) and has not lost in regulation since Jan. 5 in Albany. The Falcons' nine-game winning streak in March of 1998 is tied for the longest points streak in club history. Springfield also posted a point in nine-consecutive outings from Oct. 19 to Nov. 16, 1996 (7-0-2-0).
A MONTH TO REMEMBER
Springfield has had a great start to the 2013 calendar year, putting together an 8-1-1-0 record and boasting four of the league's top January point producers. Jonathan Audy-Marchessault leads AHL skaters in January with 16 points and eight goals, while Ryan Craig is second in the league with 13 points (4g-9a). Michael Chaput and Nick Drazenovic are tied for third in the AHL in January with 12 points, each producing four goals and eight assists.
DEFENDING THE NEST
The Falcons have won five-straight contests at home and will look for their first six-game winning streak at the MassMutual Center within the same season since Nov. 11 to Dec. 6, 2002. Springfield won eight-straight games at The Nest from the end of the 2011-2012 campaign through the start of the 2012-2013 season to tie the franchise record for the longest home winning streak, originally set from Feb. 8 to Mar. 15, 1995.
CHAPUT LEADS THE WAY
Michael Chaput posted his fifth multi-point game of the month on Wednesday, contributing a goal and two assists. Chaput has tripled his six-point output from the first three months of the season and now has 18 points (6g-12a). He leads all first-year skaters on the Falcons in scoring in 2012-2013.
POWER-PLAY SCORING RUN ENDS
The Falcons' power-play scoring streak ended at 11 games on Wednesday, as Springfield was held scoreless on the man advantage for the first time since Dec. 27.
Despite the Falcons scoring four goals, Jonathan Audy-Marchessault and Nick Drazenovic were each held without a goal or an assist on Wednesday. Audy-Marchessault's point streak came to an end at seven contests (7g-7a), while Drazenovic's ceased at five games (3g-8a). "JAM" continues to check in third in the AHL with 44 points. He is tied for second in the league with 28 assists. Drazenovic is tied for seventh in the league with 37 points (13g-24a).
Ryan Russell has received penalty-shot attempts in consecutive games after the Falcons went the first 38 contests of the season without an opportunity on the referee-granted breakaway. Springfield's last penalty-shot goal came from Cody Bass on Mar. 10, 2012 against the Syracuse Crunch.
RULING THE ROAD
Springfield upped its away record on Wednesday to 14-4-2-0 (.750), second in the AHL only to the Syracuse Crunch (.773).
The Falcons lead the league with a +41 goals differential. Springfield is third in the AHL at 3.43 goals scored/game and is second at 2.40 goals against/game.
American Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2013
- San Antonio Slips By Texas 2-1 In Overtime - Texas Stars
- Comeback Kids Do It Again - Norfolk Admirals
- Rockford edged out in 2-1 effort to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Enter All-Star Break on High Note, Beat Rockford 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Lehner Shines as B-Sens Defeat Crunch 1-0 in Shootout - Binghamton Senators
- Kevin Poulin makes 36 saves, Scott Campbell scores in loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Extend Winning Streak to Five in Charlotte - Abbotsford Heat
- Whale defeat Manchester - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons' Winning Streak Ended by Sharks - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Can't Swim With Whale - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Head into All-star Break with 4-2 Win over Baby Pens - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Loot Pirates 6-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers' Comeback Bid Falls Short - Charlotte Checkers
- Phantoms Think Pink - Adirondack Phantoms
- Crunch suffer 1-0 shootout loss to Senators - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Fall 1-0 Before Sellout Crowd - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sharks beat AHL's best 3-1 in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Grubauer Earns Third Star, Makes 25 Saves in Setback - Hershey Bears
- Devils Dominate Phantoms, 4-1 - Albany Devils
- Penguins Doubled Up by Americans - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps rebound with win over Bears - St. John's IceCaps
- Unused Tickets From Tonight's Game to be Honored at Future 2012-13 Home Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Ludwig Returned To Allen - Houston Aeros
- Florida Panthers Recall C Quinton Howden - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Release Knuble, Add Mitera - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Host Pink in the Rink Survivor Skate on Tuesday - San Antonio Rampage
- Annual 'Tip-A-Riv' Dinner Coming February 27 - Peoria Rivermen
- Coyotes Recall Johnson From Portland - Portland Pirates
- Lebda Released from PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Portland's Summers added to Eastern Conference AHL All-Star roster - AHL
- Rivals Battle at BMO Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Tonight's Admirals Game to be Played as Scheduled - Norfolk Admirals
- Rangers Return Kris Newbury To Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Anaheim Reassigns Sami Vatanen to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Fewer Than 1,000 Tickets Available For Saturday's Game Against Hershey - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Worcester, Game #41 - Springfield Falcons
- Goaltender Brandon Anderson Reassigned To Reading - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Sign Hunter Bishop To Pro Tryout - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.