Falcons clip Sound Tigers in overtime
SPRINGFIELD, MA -- Ryan O'Marra scored the game-winning goal and Devan Dubnyk made 37 saves as the Springfield Falcons defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers 3-2 in overtime Friday night at the MassMutual Center. Goaltender Martin Biron made 38 saves in his first start for the Sound Tigers to help Bridgeport earn a point and move its record to 22-21-3-6.
Viacheslav Trukhno got the Falcons off to a fast start, netting his seventh goal of the year 1:31 into the game. As Trukhno carried the puck to the net, he tried to throw a pass into the slot. However, the puck deflected off Biron's pad and landed in the back of the net, giving Springfield the lead.
Colton Fretter netted a power-play goal at the 6:57 mark of the first to make it 2-0 Falcons. Chris Minard won the initial power-play face-off directly to Fretter in the slot. Fretter quickly one-timed a shot over Biron's shoulder for his 21st goal of the year.
Tyler Haskins got Bridgeport on the board midway through the first period. Micheal Haley blasted a shot from the right point which Haskins deflected in front of the net, redirecting the puck past Dubnyk for his fifth tally of the year to bring the Sound Tigers within a goal after one period.
In a scoreless second period, Biron made several impressive saves. Midway through the frame he stacked the pads to make a sliding save on a 2-on-1 break by Geoff Paukovich. Late in the period he snagged a shot off the stick of Minard out of mid-air with a big glove save.
Trevor Smith tied the game for the Sound Tigers with 3:37 left in regulation. Greg Mauldin stole the puck in the Falcons zone and put a shot on net that went off Dubnyk's glove. Jesse Joensuu went in the corner to retrieve the rebound. He sent a pass to the front of the net where Smith jammed the puck through Dubnyk's pads to tally his 15th goal of the year.
Springfield was unable to take advantage of six minutes of power-play time in the final minutes of regulation and early in overtime. Finally, with 1:11 left in the extra session, O'Marra took a pass from Sasha Pokulok, moved to the top of the face-off circle and snapped a shot under Biron's arm to win the game for the Falcons.
The Falcons outshot the Sound Tigers 41-39. In a game that featured 38 penalty minutes, the Sound Tigers were 0-for-5 on the power-play while the Falcons were 1-for-9 with the man advantage.
The Sound Tigers return home Saturday night as they host the Manchester Monarchs. Face-off at the Arena at Harbor Yard is set for 7:00 pm. The game will feature the Sound Tigers annual Faith and Family Night, including a food drive to benefit Souper Bowl of Caring. For tickets, please call TicketMaster at 1-800-745-3000.
American Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2010
- Rockford pulls away for win in third period - Lake Erie Monsters
- Houston sunk by Admirals in 5-3 loss - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Down Aeros - Milwaukee Admirals
- Porter lifts Rampage past Moose 5-4 in OT - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Double-Up First Place Stars - Peoria Rivermen
- O'Marra's OT Goal Lifts Falcons To 3-2 Win - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons clip Sound Tigers in overtime - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars fall to Peoria - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs earn sixth win in a row - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Moose suffer 5-4 overtime loss - Manitoba Moose
- Petiot has three points in 5-3 win - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals win over Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens blast Albany - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals on Cloud Nine After Overtime Win - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Topple Toronto, 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- Adirondack Dethrones Monarchs 3-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Spooked Monarchs Drop To Second - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Pummel Penguins to Win Fifth in a Row - Syracuse Crunch
- Sharks Look Sexy in First Place After 3-0 Win Over Devils - Worcester Sharks
- B-Sens Earn 4-3 Win Over Albany - Albany River Rats
- P-Bruins Fall To Pirates 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Aeros add goalie to thinning roster - Houston Aeros
- Enroth Leads Pirates To Shutout Victory - Portland Pirates
- Canadiens Recall David Desharnais, Brock Trotter And Ryan White From Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Crunch Players To Sign Autographs At B'Ville Diner to Help Multiple Sclerosis Awareness - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Admirals Announce Game Time Change - Milwaukee Admirals
- Aeros Announce Time Change To March 21 Game - Houston Aeros
- Hamilton Bulldogs "Pink In The Rink" Night On February 13 At Copps Coliseum - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Miracle Memories - A Celebration Of The 30th Anniversary Of The 'Miracle on Ice' - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins' Kolosov To Play In Olympics - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hamilton Recalls Maxime Lacroix From Cincinnati - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolf Pack Raises $41,500 At Tip-A-Player Dinner - Connecticut Whale
- 'Canes Recall Justin Peters & Zach Boychuk From Albany - Albany River Rats
- River Rats 4th Annual Ronald McDonald House Jersey Auction Saturday - Albany River Rats
- Falcons Host The Sound Tigers Tonight - - Springfield Falcons
- Moose To Wear East St. Paul Aces Jersey To Celebrate "Hockey Night In Manitoba" - Manitoba Moose
- Game Night: Amerks Take On 'Dogs At Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Moose Hit Classroom February 10th To Help With "Respond To Reading" - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Quick Hits -- 2/5/10 - AHL
- B-Sens Assign Goaltender Chris Holt And Forward Tim Spencer To Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Sign D Jamie Fritsch To Tryout Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- Pirates Re-Sign Caruana - Portland Pirates
- Kirk Gibson Highlights Griffins' Home Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Cool Off Heat, 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Slip Past Heat - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.