Extra Effort Propels RiverDogs Past Power
CHARLESTON, WV - A back-and-forth game between the Charleston RiverDogs (4-2) and West Virginia Power (1-5) finally came to an end after 11 innings with the RiverDogs claiming a 10-7 victory Tuesday night at Appalachian Power Park.
With the game tied at seven heading to the eleventh, Rob Refsnyder got things going for Charleston by starting the inning off with a single. Three batters later, after a Greg Bird strikeout and a Dante Bichette, Jr. walk, Peter O'Brien came up to the plate and stroked a single to load the bases. Next, with Yeicok Calderon batting, a wild pitch came from reliever Lance Breedlove that scored Refsnyder from third to give Charleston the lead. Calderon would then tap an infield single to load the bases for Kelvin DeLeon who also singled bringing in Bichette from third. The RiverDogs closed out their scoring when Fu-Lin Kuo hit a sacrifice fly ball to left field to score Peter O'Brien.
Cito Culver was the star of the day offensively for the RiverDogs cracking two towering home runs to left field, a two-run shot in the second inning and a solo blast in the fourth.
Charleston's bullpen came to the aid of starter Daniel Camarena, who surrendered five runs on eleven hits in his four plus innings of work. Ben Paullus pitched two scoreless innings, newly-acquired reliever Dietrich Enns allowed one unearned run in two innings pitched, and then Brett Gerritse (1-1) came in and shut the door with three shutout innings en route to his first victory of the season.
West Virginia starter Joely Rodriguez lasted four innings after he allowed four runs in his short outing. Lance Breedlove (0-1) took the loss for the Power, after he surrendered all three runs in the eleventh. Stetson Allie once again paced the Power offensively with a 4-for-6, two RBI performance at the plate.
The two teams have a quick turnaround with first pitch of the series finale scheduled for 10:30 am Wednesday. The RiverDogs will send RHP Cesar Vargas (0-0, 0.00 ERA) to the mound looking for the series sweep, and West Virginia will counter with RHP Clay Holmes (0-0, 9.82 ERA). You can listen to the game locally on 910 AM "The Zone" or online at www.riverdogs.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from April 10, 2013
- GreenJackets Drop Second Game in Series against Sand Gnats - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Blank BlueClaws 6-0 - Hagerstown Suns
- BlueClaws Blinded by Suns, Lose 6-0 in Finale - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Seventh Inning Rally Gives Braves Win - Rome Braves
- 'Dads Leave Win in Scoring Position - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Hang on Late for 7-5 Victory over Crawdads - Greenville Drive
- Balanced Attack Helps Tourists to 6-1 Win - Asheville Tourists
- 11-Run Seventh Ignites RiverDogs Past Power - Charleston RiverDogs
- Asheville Tops Legends 6-1 - Lexington Legends
- Power Swept by Charleston - West Virginia Power
- NewBridge Bank and Greensboro Grasshoppers Extend Naming Rights Agreement for NewBridge Bank Park - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- WV Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Extra Effort Propels RiverDogs Past Power - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.