Express RHP Evan Meek Named PCL Pitcher of the Week
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Pacific Coast League announced today that Round Rock Express pitcher Evan Meek has been named the league's Pitcher of the Week for the week of July 15 - 21. Stephen Vogt of the Sacramento River Cats was named PCL Player of the Week.
In his last outing (July 21 vs. Iowa), Meek threw 8.0 innings, giving up four hits in his first shutout as a starter this season. He threw 101 pitches (62 strikes) and allowed just six baserunners. It was his longest outing of the season, his previous being on July 14 against Omaha (7.0ip).
Meek, 30, started the season out of the bullpen, logging 22.0 innings in 18 appearances. He had a 0-3 record with a 4.91 ERA (22.0ip/12er) and converted four of four save opportunities. Since joining the rotation, he's 5-1 with a 3.06 ERA (47.0ip/16er) in eight starts. Five of his starts have been quality starts, including his last two. Meek's first start this season was his first since August 21, 2006 as a member of the Lake Elsinore Storm (Class-A, San Diego Padres).
A Bellevue, Washington native, Meek was signed to a minor league contract by the Texas Rangers in December 2012. He was originally signed as a non-drafted free agent on May 27, 2003 by the Minnesota Twins. He spent parts of five seasons in the major leagues as a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Meek is the third Express pitcher to win the league's weekly honor this season. LHP Brad Mills earned the nod the week of April 4 - 15 and LHP Martin Perez got tabbed for the honor May 20 - 27.
The Express hits the road for four games against the Memphis Redbirds (Triple-A, St. Louis Cardinals) July 22 - 25 before returning home to face Memphis for four games at Dell Diamond. For more information on the Express, visit www.RoundRockExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook and Twitter!
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 22, 2013
- Feierabend Blanks RedBirds in Express' 9-0 Win - Round Rock Express
- Omaha Totals 3 Hits, 13 Strikeouts in 6-1 Loss - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Silence Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Jensen's Five RBI Lead the Z's - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Bats Back Oberholtzer in 6-1 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Khris Davis HR Propels Sounds Past 'Topes in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Shut out by Round Rock in Series Opener, 9-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Vogt Named PCL Player of the Week - Sacramento River Cats
- INF Mike Olt Traded to Chicago Cubs Organization - Round Rock Express
- The Principal Financial Group Celebrates 10 Years With Minor League Baseball With Stop In Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
- RedHawks vs. Storm Chasers - Game Notes - July 22, 2013 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Storm Chasers Show Support for OKC during 8-day, 9-game Homestand - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees to Change July 23 Game Time to 6:45 p.m. - Salt Lake Bees
- PCL Announces Players of the Week - Round Rock Express
- Express RHP Evan Meek Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Round Rock Express
- Padres Fall to Colorado Springs 6-4 - Tucson Padres
- Cubs Can't Get on Track against Express - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Fall Short in Finale - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Drop Series Finale, 15-8 - Reno Aces
- Berry Very Timely as Chasers Best Albuquerque - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Fitzgerald Earns First Career Triple-A Win as Grizzlies Beat Tacoma - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.