Elmira Jackals Weekly
ELMIRA, N.Y. - December 3, 2012 - The Elmira Jackals earned three of a possible six points, including three of four on the road, to hang on to second place in the Atlantic Division standings. This weekend is a two-game showdown at First Arena with the division-leading Reading Royals.
Last Week's Record: 1-1-1
Overall Record: 10-8-2, 22 pts., 2nd Place Atlantic Division
Goals - Artem Demkov: 11
Assists - Dustin Gazley: 13
Points - Artem Demkov: 21
+/- - Louie Caporusso: +4
PIMs - Kevin Harvey: 49
PPG - Artem Demkov: 6
SHG - Jack Downing: 1
Wins - Marc Cheverie: 7
GAA - Marc Cheverie: 2.48
SVP - Marc Cheverie: .922
Previewing the Upcoming Week:
12/7 & 12/8 vs. Reading - 7:05 p.m., Home vs. REA 1-0-0, Away vs. REA 0-0-1
This weekend the Jackals host the Royals for the first time since Opening Night. The season series between the Atlantic Division's top two teams has been split so far with each team winning at home. However, the Jackals did make it to overtime in Reading on November 14 so they have claimed three of a possible four points from the Royals. If this weekend's games follow suit from the prior two meetings fans should expect close games. Each of the earlier games has been decided by one goal and the winning team has not scored more than three goals in victory. Goals may prove tough to come by in the weekend series because Elmira (2.75) and Reading (2.76) rank fifth and sixth, respectively, in the ECHL in team goals-against average.
12/3/12 - Off
12/4/12 - Practice at First Arena, 10:30 a.m.
* Jackals Visit Center Street Elementary, 1-2 p.m.
12/5/12 - Practice at First Arena, 10:30 a.m.
* Jackals Visit Center Street Elementary, 1-2 p.m.
12/6/12 - Practice at First Arena, 10:30 a.m.
12/7/12 - Pre-game Skate at First Arena, 10:00 a.m.
Jackals vs. Royals, 7:05 p.m.
12/8/12 - Pre-game Skate at First Arena, 10:00 a.m.
Jackals vs. Royals, 7:05 p.m.
12/9/12 - Bowl With the Jackals at Terrace Lanes Bowling in Troy, Pa., 1-3 p.m.
* A community event that is not open to the general public. Media members are still able to attend and provide coverage of the Jackals' community involvement. Please call Ray Schmitt at 607-734-7825 x 3216 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for coverage.
Jackals Broadcast Information
All Elmira Jackals broadcasts are carried on WEHH AM 1600 and FM 93.9. Fans can also access live streaming of the broadcast online on their computer, smartphone, or tablet at www.1600wehh.com. America One provides pay-per-view internet TV broadcasts of all Jackals games as well. Check out how you can watch the Jackals on America One by clicking here. All Jackals broadcasts begin 10 minutes prior to faceoff with "The Jackals Pre-Game Show."
Recapping Last Week:
11/30 vs. Wheeling: L 2-4
The Elmira Jackals were unable to prevent Wheeling from winning its first road game of the season last Wednesday, and closed out their six-game home stand with a 3-3-0 record. Cam Fergus gave Wheeling the 1-0 lead just over seven minutes into the game and the Nailers never trailed from there. Chaz Johnson drew the Jackals even with his first goal of the season 13:49 into the second period, but the Nailers answered right back with a score from Chris Minella. Artem Demkov fired home a power play goal 47 seconds into the third and, once again, had the Jackals on even footing with the visitors. Wheeling bounced back, though, with goals from Kevin Veilleux and Philippe Lefebvre to distance itself from the Jackals. Marc Cheverie sustained the loss while making 24 saves, while Scott Darling won for Wheeling with a 37-save effort.
12/1 at Trenton: SOL 6-7
Elmira went on the road last Saturday looking to end a five-game road losing streak and got into an offensive shootout with the Trenton Titans. The teams combined for six first-period goals with three going to each side. The Jackals led it 1-0 then had to battle back to tie the score at 2-2 and 3-3. Elmira's first period goals came from Chaz Johnson, Jean Bourbeau, and Andrew Rowe while Trenton received markers from Marcel Noebels (2) and Stephen Schultz. The Jackals inched back in front early in the second period on a power play goal by Louie Caporusso, but Noebels finished off his hat trick and Andy Bombach tallied on the power play to push Trenton ahead going into the third. Forty five seconds in to the last frame Bourbeau netted his second of the game to tie the score at five only to have Justin Taylor cash in at 4:17 to re-up Trenton's lead. However, Elmira answered right back 13 seconds later with Artem Demkov's tenth of the season to tie the score. After the early outburst in the third, Maxime Clermont and Scott Wedgewood shut down the opposing offenses and eventually sent the game to overtime then a shootout. Wedgewood stopped all five Jackals shooters while Clermont stopped four of five Titans. Schultz' score in the top of the third proved to be the winner.
12/2 at Trenton: W 6-2
Less than 24 hours after combining with Trenton for 13 goals, the Jackals kept the offensive pedal to the metal while the Titans couldn't maintain the pace. The Jackals raced out to a 3-0 first period lead on the strength of an early 5-on-5 goal by Artem Demkov and power play goals 1:03 apart by Jack Downing and Jean Bourbeau. Trenton chipped in two goals past Marc Cheverie in the second period, but a shorthanded score by Downing at 4:17 of the second kept the Titans from fully grabbing the momentum. In the third period Andrew Rowe notched a highlight reel-worthy unassisted goal and Bourbeau finished off a 2-on-1 rush with Downing to ensure the Jackals came away with the two points. Cheverie picked up his seventh win of the season with 28 saves.
* Artem Demkov is nominated for ECHL Player of the Week honors after recording six points (3G, 3A) and a +2. His six point week gave him the team lead in points (21) and with three goals in three games he is nine away from equaling his 20 goals as a rookie last season.
* Elmira has a chance this weekend to become the second ECHL team to reach 10 home wins. The Jackals are tied with Colorado for the second-most home wins in the league at eight and are three behind Idaho for the most home wins in the league.
* December will be a critical month for the Jackals in terms of the Atlantic Division race. Nine of the Jackals' 13 games are against Atlantic Division foes with six of those nine on the road. Elmira is 5-2-2 against division opponents this season with a 4-2-0 mark at home and a 1-0-2 record on the road.
* Jean Bourbeau broke a 16-game goal drought with a two-goal performance in Trenton on December 1, and followed that performance with another two goals on December 2 in Trenton. Prior to those games Bourbeau had scored two goals in a game on October 17, 2008 and February 6, 2010 for the Central Hockey League's Odessa Jackalopes.
* The Jackals have scored first in 14 of their 20 games so far this season. They are tied for the second-most first goals with Cincinnati. Only Gwinnett, with 15, has scored more first goals than the Jackals.
December 7, 7:05 p.m. - Jackals vs. Reading Royals. Affordable Friday. Hot dogs, popcorn and soda will be on sale at First Arena for just $2. Click here for tickets.
December 8, 7:05 p.m. - Jackals vs. Reading Royals. Teddy Bear Toss. Bring a new stuffed animal with you to the game and throw it onto the ice when the Jackals score their first goal of the game. All tossed teddy bears will be donated area children initiatives. Click here for tickets.
December 14, 7:05 p.m. - Jackals vs. Orlando Solar Bears. Team Photo Giveaway. Click here for tickets.
December 16, 4:05 p.m. - Jackals vs. Reading Royals. Santa Clause Visit and Post-Game Skate with the Jackals. Click here for tickets.
ECHL Stories from December 3, 2012
- Thunder Weekly: Second Place Thunder Hosts Las Vegas - Stockton Thunder
- Former Wranglers Goaltender Marc Magliarditi Named to ECHL Hall of Fame - Las Vegas Wranglers
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Condors Weekly: Condors Split Weekend Series; Three Games on Tap - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - December 3 - ECHL
- Weekly Warrior - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Announces 2013 Hall of Fame Class - ECHL
- Road Warriors Teddy Bear Toss on Friday December 7 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Christmas Parade and Coat Drive - Bakersfield Condors
- Aces back in familiar position - ECHL
- Edmonton Reassigns RW Toni Rajala to Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Colorado Eagles Weekly Update - Colorado Eagles
- Komets Split Pair at Gwinnett; Open Three-Game Series at Orlando Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers Host Teddy Bear Toss Friday - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Loans D Nathan Deck to Oklahoma City - Stockton Thunder
- Radio Recon Might Sit in the Lotus Position for this One - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Weekly: College Pride Night and Teddy Bear Toss this Weekend - South Carolina Stingrays
- Evansville IceMen Weekly - Evansville IceMen
- IceMen Weekly Notes - Evansville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.