ECHL Hall of Fame Defenseman Sam Ftorek Comes out of Retirement, Signs with Admirals
Norfolk, VA.- ECHL Hall of Fame defenseman Sam Ftorek has come out of retirement and signed with the Norfolk Admirals the team announced on Wednesday afternoon.
Ftorek, who returns to the ice after a two-year retirement, played 17 seasons from 1998-2015, 14 of which were in the ECHL. The defenseman holds the ECHL record for games played (837), ranks 10th in career assists (359), 17th in points (547), and 29th in goals (188). Ftorek spent the last six seasons of his career with the Kalamazoo Wings, where he was a captain or alternate captain each year. After his retirement Ftorek moved behind the bench serving as an assistant coach with the Wings before being named the head coach of the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs (SPHL).
A one-time ECHL All-Star, Ftorek was inducted into the ECHL Hall of Fame on January 15 in Indianapolis. Sam is the son of Admirals head coach Robbie Ftorek.
In a corresponding move the Admirals released forward John Rey.
Norfolk continues a nine-game home stand this weekend with three games against the Adirondack Thunder.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 7, 2018
- Icemen Top Swamp Rabbits on the Road - Jacksonville Lizard Kings
- Steelheads Ground Eagles in Loveland - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads Score Four Unanswered to Top Eagles 4-2 - Colorado Eagles
- Piccinich Scores, But Solar Bears Drop Decision to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cuddemi Scores Twice in Loss at Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- Wings Offense Sizzles in Win over Oilers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Railers Dazzle Late with 3-2 Overtime Winner over Royals on Home Ice - Worcester Railers HC
- No Shortage of Scoring as Wings Top Oilers 9-6 - Tulsa Oilers
- Strong Third Period Leads 'Blades Past Orlando 3-1 - Florida Everblades
- 3-2 OT Loss Nets Reading Sole Possession of Second Place in North - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - February 7 - ECHL
- Rush Win First Morning Home Game in Team History - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Hall of Fame Defenseman Sam Ftorek Comes out of Retirement, Signs with Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Florida Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day Storylines at Colorado - Idaho Steelheads
- Wichita Continues Road Trip Tonight vs. Fort Wayne - Wichita Thunder
- The Zombies Are Coming - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Has 26 Former Players, Five Officials in 2018 Winter Olympics - ECHL
- Police vs. Fire Quickly Approaching - Wichita Thunder
- Gudbranson Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Dallas Stars 2018 Training Camp to be Held at CenturyLink Arena - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna to Step Down - ECHL
- Preview: Boosted Royals Look to Move 14 Points Ahead of Railers - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.