ECHL All-Stars Shine in Colorado
January 29, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
PRINCETON, N.J. - The third game to feature the host team playing the ECHL All-Stars and the induction of the sixth class into the ECHL Hall of Fame highlighted the 2013 ECHL All-Star Week presented by CCM .
The ECHL All-Stars defeated the Colorado Eagles 7-3 in the 20th ECHL All-Star Game presented by University of Colorado Health on Jan. 23 at a sold-out Budweiser Events Center in Loveland, Colo. South Carolina Stingrays goaltender Ryan Zapolski captured Most Valuable Player honors after stopping all 17 shots he faced in the second period of the game, as the Eagles out-shot the ECHL All-Stars 52-27. Zapolski is just the fourth goaltender in ECHL All-Star Game history to win the Most Valuable Player award.
The MeiGray Group, which is the "Official Game-Worn Jersey Source of the ECHL," is auctioning the game-worn jerseys and Sher-Wood Hockey game-used pucks from both the skills competition and the game online at ECHL.com and MeiGray.com .
Showcasing some of the top prospects in the Premier "AA' Hockey League, the rosters had 16 rookies and 35 of the players were appearing in their first ECHL All-Star Game. Attended by representatives from both the National Hockey League and the American Hockey League, the game has produced more than 50 players who have gone on to play in the NHL including 39 since 2002 when the format was changed to feature younger players.
The sixth class of the ECHL Hall of Fame - David Craievich, Marc Magliarditi, Steve Poapst and Darren Schwartz - was officially inducted during a luncheon presented by BFL Canada with more than 300 guests in attendance at the Embassy Suites Hotel and Conference Center, the official host hotel of the 2013 ECHL All-Star Game, which was sold out during the event. The featured speaker at the ceremony was six-time Stanley Cup champion and Colorado Eagles founder Ralph Backstrom. Following a video highlighting their accomplishments, each of the inductees was presented an etched crystal award and a Hall of Fame ring.
The game was televised live in nearly 15 million homes on Altitude Sports & Entertainment in Colorado, Buckeye Cable Sports Network in Ohio, Comcast Sports Net - California, GCI in Alaska, New England Sports Network, NHL Network U.S. and Canada and Time Warner Cable Sportsnet in Ohio.
Fans across the globe were able to watch the game online at AmericaOne.com courtesy of America One, the "Official Broadband and Mobile Broadcaster of the ECHL."
Fans had the opportunity to have their pictures taken with the Stanley Cup and the Patrick J. Kelly Cup which were both on display at all events. Additionally, Sutton Special Risk presented a special display from the Hockey Hall of Fame during the All-Star Skills Competition presented by OtterBox and CCM . The display included artifacts from the Hockey Hall of Fame, interactive games and the Conn Smythe Trophy, Vezina Trophy and Norris Trophy.
The past 10 ECHL All-Star Games have generated more than $1 million each for the local economy as guests, players, coaches and fans occupy hundreds of hotel rooms and spend several days in the host city.
ECHL Stories from January 29, 2013
- Las Vegas Wranglers to Play Topless Hockey - Las Vegas Wranglers
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Using The Force With Heart - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Helps Collect, Donate 5,235 Stuffed Animals from Eighth "Teddy Bear Toss" Game - Stockton Thunder
- Owner Visits League of Dreams; "Krush Cancer" Pack Now on Sale - Bakersfield Condors
- Kevin Estrada Returns to Reign Lineup - Ontario Reign
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Battle Gladiators in Key Division Contests this Weekend - South Carolina Stingrays
- FLORIDA EVERBLADES 'Blades Trade Forward Baker to Trenton - Florida Everblades
- Condors Youth Jersey and Cowboy Hat Giveaways on Tap this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - January 29 - ECHL
- K-Wings Home for Two Games this Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Young Returns - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Martin Selected Goaltender of the Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL All-Stars Shine in Colorado - ECHL
- Stingrays Unveil 2013 Pink in the Rink Jerseys - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cameron Returns to Road Warriors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Kalamazoo's Martin Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Weekly Warrior - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Froese Returns to Toledo; Malka Traded to Florida - Toledo Walleye
- South Carolina's McNeely Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Tyler McNeely Named ECHL Player of the Week - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.