Earthquakes Sign English D/M Jordan Stewart
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has signed English defender-midfielder Jordan Stewart pending receipt of his P-1 visa and ITC. Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Stewart, 31, is a 15-year veteran with experience in the top three flights of English soccer as a defender and midfielder. His presence will bolster the depth of San Jose's defensive and midfield ranks as the club prepares for CONCACAF Champions League and a march toward the MLS Cup Playoffs.
"We're very excited to add Jordan to our squad," said Earthquakes interim head coach Mark Watson. "He came and trained with us last year and did very well. He brings a lot of experience at the highest level of soccer and he will be an excellent addition the club."
The versatile left-sided player began his professional career with Leicester City in 1999, representing the Foxes in the Premiership for three seasons before their relegation to the Football League Championship at the conclusion of the 2001-02 season. He remained with the club and helped lead them to a 26-6-14 record as the starting left back, earning the Foxes a return to the Premiership for the 2003-04 season. Stewart made 25 appearances for Leicester City in their return to the top division and racked up over 100 appearances during his six seasons with the club from 1999-05.
In 2005, Stewart moved to Watford FC and helped their club achieve promotion at the end of the 2005-06 campaign. He remained with Watford FC through 2008, making 95 appearances in the process, before moving to Derby County. Over the next six seasons, his career included stops with Sheffield United, Skoda Xanthi of Greece, Millwall FC, Notts County FC and Coventry City FC.
"Jordan adds depth to our squad as an attack-minded left midfielder and left defender. We look forward to him joining the club," said Earthquakes general manager John Doyle.
During his youth, Stewart represented England at the U-18 and U-21 levels.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 9, 2013
- Loan Deals Possible for LA Galaxy Trio as Partnership between Galaxy and Hammarby Grows - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Round out Real's Coaching Staff with Gonzalez, Plummer & Camacho - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Loan Alvaro Fernandez to Club Nacional de Football - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Pleased with Robbie Rogers' Game vs. FC Dallas - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Midfielder Nanchoff to join Swedish Side through Nov. 27 - Portland Timbers
- Time change for LA Galaxy-Colorado Rapids match on July 27 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- MLS Eastern Conference Roundup - MLS
- Fire Match Against Houston Dynamo on July 27 Moved to 8:00 p.m. CT - Chicago Fire
- New Start Time Announced For Houston Dynamo vs. Chicago Fire Match on July 27 - Houston Dynamo
- Earthquakes Sign English D/M Jordan Stewart - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Match Against LA Galaxy on July 27 Moved to 5 p.m. MT on ESPN2 - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Trades Luis Silva - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Luis Silva from Toronto FC - D.C. United
- Ohio Represent: Six locals started for the Crew on Sunday, making them a real hometown team - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.