Dynamo Forward Calen Carr Named MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Month
HOUSTON, TX (Tuesday, April 2, 2013) - Dynamo forward Calen Carr has been named the MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Month for April, it was announced today. Carr was honored for his contributions to the Big Brothers Big Sisters program at The Rusk School in Houston's East End and his charity initiative Calen's Big Play.
MLS WORKS will make a $1,500 donation to Big Brothers Big Sisters on behalf of Carr for his work in the community.
"I am really pleased with how the program has developed in its first year," said Carr. "It is always nice to be recognized, but more importantly, this award will provide more resources for Rusk Elementary and its students while increasing awareness of the program within the community."
Calen's Big Play is an initiative that included a celebrity bowling event last October to jump-start the mentoring program. More than $5,000 was generated through fan donations and Dynamo Charities for the Big Brothers Big Sister program at The Rusk School. Carr and Dynamo president Chris Canetti are among a group of 20 mentors for 20 children at the East End school.
This is Carr's first MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Month honor. In 2012, Dynamo players Brad Davis and Geoff Cameron earned Humanitarian of the Month honors after raising $15,000 for Texas Chapter of Paralyzed Veterans of America (TCPVA) and more than $30,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, respectively.
Major League Soccer Stories from April 2, 2013
- Get to know the enemy - Club dé Futbol Monterrey - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- LA Galaxy Ready to Face Two-Time Champions League Winners Monterrey - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Scouting Report: Philadelphia Union - Columbus Crew SC
- Chivas USA Falls 2-1 in Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Revs Working to Fix "Out of Sync" Attack - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Face Stiff Test, But Believe They Have Solid Shot against Monterrey - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Defender Zarek Valentin Loaned to Norwegian Club FK Bodo/Glimt - Montreal Impact
- USA vs. Mexico, Club Edition - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Michael Seaton Called up to Jamaica U-17 Men's National Team Ahead of CONCACAF Championship - D.C. United
- Dynamo Forward Calen Carr Named MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Month - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.