Devils Winners at Springfield
SPRINGFIELD, MA - A pair of goals separated by just 31 seconds helped the Albany Devils to a 3-1 victory against the Springfield Falcons Tuesday at MassMutual Center. Reid Boucher and Harri Pesonen both scored in the first period and Jacob Josefson found the back of the net in the third as the Devils gained ground in the Eastern Conference playoff race.
In his 41st appearance of the season, Keith Kinkaid turned aside 35 shots, including 11 in the first, 11 in the second and 13 in the third.
Early in the opening period and on the power play, Mike Sislo found Jon Merrill near the top of the circles. The Devils defenseman fired a shot on Springfield netminder Allen York and Reid Boucher swooped in on a rebound at 15:50. Moments later Mattias Tedenby and Tim Sestito began a breakout of the offensive zone. Pesonen gained control of the puck and made a move around a Falcons defender for a breakaway goal at 16:21.
After a scoreless second, Springfield's Ryan Craig scored on a 5-on-3 power play 49 seconds into the third period. Josefson responded on an odd-man rush, which was started by Merrill, when he snapped a wrister into the upper corner at 2:33.
Notes & Numbers - The Devils, who improved to 29-26-1-11 (70 pts.), are three points behind eighth-place Hershey with nine games remaining. Springfield moved to 39-18-5-4 (87 pts.).
- Keith Kinkaid became the fourth goaltender in franchise history to register 20 wins in a single season. The others include Jeff Frazee (28, '08-'09), Mike McKenna (24, '09-'10) and Frank Doyle (20, '06-'07).
- In his second game of the season, Reid Boucher picked up his fourth point, including his second goal. After signing an ATO Friday, the 19-year-old posted a goal and two assists Saturday.
- Jon Merrill, who also inked an ATO Friday, has had a point in all three of his games. He had an assist Friday, two helpers Saturday and two assists tonight.
- Harri Pesonen, who has missed six of the last nine games on a NHL recall, netted his 12 goal of the season. The tally, which was his 25th point, was his first since March 8.
- Jacob Josefson scored his 10th goal of the season in his return to the lineup for the first time since Mar. 10. He missed nine consecutive games with an upper-body injury.
- Tonight's game was originally scheduled for Feb. 8, but was postponed to due to a major snowstorm, which blanketed the Northeast.
American Hockey League Stories from April 2, 2013
- Stanton, Karlsson Lead Hogs to Victory - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Fall Behind Early, Drop 6-3 Decision to Chicago - San Antonio Rampage
- Francis Pare Has Historic Night in Griffins 5-1 Victory over Aeros - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Fall to Rockford 2-1 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Strome Leads Sound Tigers to Win over Sharks - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Start Six-Game Road Trip with 6-3 Triumph at San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Falcons' Winning Streak Doused By Devils - Springfield Falcons
- Barons Beat Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Admirals' Comeback Falls One Goal Short vs. Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Skate Past Aeros 5-1 - Houston Aeros
- Paradis Dealt to Tampa Bay - Rockford IceHogs
- Penguins Hold on for Road Win over Admirals - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Skid Hits Five Games After 4-2 Loss to Sound Tigers - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Winners at Springfield - Albany Devils
- Lightning Acquire LW Philippe Paradis from Blackhawks - Syracuse Crunch
- Dallas Makes Seven Player Moves with Texas Stars; Cameron Signs SPC - Texas Stars
- Dallas Stars Acquire Cameron Gaunce from Colorado in for Tomas Vincour - Texas Stars
- Cundari Joins Heat; Howse and Martin to Utah - Abbotsford Heat
- Kings Trade Drewiske - Manchester Monarchs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Johan Larsson from the Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Blues Place Oshie on IR, Recall Allen and Cracknell - Peoria Rivermen
- Canadiens Assign Nathan Beaulieu to Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Enter Home Stretch of Regular Season as Playoff Race Heats Up - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall D Nick Schaus from ECHL, Sign D Kevin Gagne to Amateur Tryout Contract - Norfolk Admirals
- AHL Weekly - AHL
- Dan Miner Bobbleheads Unveiled - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Raise More Than $60,000 in 13th Annual MDA Jersey Auction - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers Acquire Garrett Stafford from Washington for Dane Byers - Oklahoma City Barons
- Crunch to Wear Orange in Support of Syracuse University Final Four Appearance - Syracuse Crunch
- Nashville Predators Recall Mueller from Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bruins Acquire Jaromir Jagr From Dallas - Providence Bruins
- Matthew Roeder of Victor Wins 2012-13 Thomas M. Nichols Scholarship - Rochester Americans
- SJ Sharks Sign Crane, Nieto, Tarasov and Tierney - Worcester Sharks
- Forward Dane Byers Joins Hershey Bears - Hershey Bears
- Midwest Division Showdown Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Connauton Included in Roy Trade - Chicago Wolves
- Schroeder Returned to Chicago - Chicago Wolves
- Reduce Carbon Footprint and Win IceCaps Memorabilia - St. John's IceCaps
- Worcester Sharks Team up with March of Dimes on April 6 at DCU - Worcester Sharks
- Forward Joel Rechlicz Returns to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Pirates Acquire Matt Clackson from Hershey - Portland Pirates
- Panthers Recall Forward Greg Rallo from Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Blackhawks Reassign Hayes and Morin - Rockford IceHogs
- Pirates Sign Justin Feser to Amateur Tryout Contract - Portland Pirates
- Sabres Recall Defenseman Adam Pardy from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Centre Aaron Gagnon Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - St. John's IceCaps
- Niklas Svedberg Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - Providence Bruins
- Gagnon, Svedberg, Leggio Named American Hockey League Award Winners - AHL
- Amerks' David Leggio Named Ccm/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Albany, Game #67 - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.