Devils Topple B-Sens, 5-2
ALBANY, N.Y. - A slow start would ultimately doom the Binghamton Senators who fell to the Albany Devils, 5-2 at the Times Union Center this evening. The loss snapped a five game win streak for the B-Sens.
The Devils jumped to a 2-0 lead in the first period - one in which they outshot the visiting B-Sens 13 to 3. Defenseman Eric Gelinas scored his second goal of the season on the power play at 2:34, with helpers from Matt Anderson and Alexander Urbom. Forward Tim Sestito, assisted by Mike Hoeffel and Darcy Zajac, then doubled Albany's lead at the 15:11 mark.
The B-Sens rebounded in the second period. Defenseman Patrick Wiercioch scored the team's first goal of the game on a power play at 5:53. Assists were credited to Andre Benoit and Hugh Jessiman. Forward Shane Prince, assisted by Pat Cannone and Cole Schneider, tied the game at two on his seventh goal of the year at 8:38.
Albany regained the lead in the third period when defenseman Adam Larsson, assisted by Harri Pesonen and Sestito, netted his third of the year at 11:11. Forward Mattias Tedenby would then score his seventh goal of the year at 16:11, providing insurance for the Devils, with helpers from Stephen Gionta and Chris McKelvie. Albany put the game out of Binghamton's reach at 17:58 as forward Steve Zalewski, assisted by Dan Kelly, scored on an empty net to seal the 5-2 victory.
Keith Kinkaid tended goal for the Devils making 22 saves on 24 shots. Robin Lehner stopped 36 of 40 shots while in goal for the B-Sens.
The B-Sens return to action on Wednesday, Jan. 9 as they travel to Wilkes-Barre to face off against the Penguins at 7:05 p.m. Fans can listen live on "Binghamton's Classic Hits" BIG 107.5 (WBBI-FM) beginning 15 minutes before game time as Grady Whittenburg, the voice of the B-Sens, hosts the Countdown to Faceoff. Fans are also encouraged to follow @BSens_Hockey on Twitter for live game updates.
American Hockey League Stories from January 6, 2013
- Texas Topples Houston 4-3 in OT - Texas Stars
- Sharks Win a Greasy 2-1 Game in Hershey - Worcester Sharks
- Griffins Finish Three-In-Three with Nine-Round Shootout Loss - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Earn Fourth-Straight Home Win, Defeat Peoria, 5-2 - San Antonio Rampage
- Aeros Fall to Stars 4-3 in Overtime - Houston Aeros
- Hensick Earns 300th Point in Loss - Peoria Rivermen
- Sharks Hang on to Defeat Bears - Hershey Bears
- Wolves Break Away for 6-3 Win over Barons - Chicago Wolves
- Wins Keep Coming - Albany Devils
- Missiaen Blanks Pens - Connecticut Whale
- McElhinney, Audy-Marchessault Pace Falcons to Win - Springfield Falcons
- Devils Topple B-Sens, 5-2 - Binghamton Senators
- P-Bruins Fall to Falcons - Providence Bruins
- Missiaen and Whale Hand Penguins Shutout Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Earn Win in First Trip to Raleigh - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals Fall to Checkers in Raleigh - Norfolk Admirals
- Road Hogs Bus to Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Houston Recalls Caron, Signs Defenseman Ludwig - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Providence, Game #33 - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.