Devils Earn 5-3 Win at St. John's
ST. JOHN'S, Newfoundland - The long journey to Newfoundland was worth it for the Albany Devils, grabbing three-out-of-a-possible-four points in a weekend series against the St. John's IceCaps. Following a 4-3 shootout loss Friday, the Devils responded with a 5-3 victory Saturday at Mile One Centre. Albany had five players with multiple point nights, including Darcy Zajac who had two goals and Adam Larsson who had a goal and an assist.
Brandon Burlon, Adam Henrique and Jay Leach all registered two assists, while Jacob Josefson and Bobby Butler joined Zajac and Larsson with goals. Goaltender Jeff Frazee made a season-high 42 saves for his third win.
The Devils have points in five-consecutive games, going 2-0-0-3, to improve to 4-5-0-4. The loss moves the IceCaps to 7-8-0-0.
Out the gate, Albany grabbed an early 2-0 advantage with Josefson's goal at 5:37 and Zajac's at 6:20. For Josefson, it was his team-leading sixth tally, extending his point streak to four games. Burlon and Matt Anderson were credited with the assists and Anderson also moved his streak to four games. Leach and Larsson assisted on Zajac's marker.
St. John's Ivan Telgin made the score 2-1 at 14:12 of the first, but Larsson answered with the Devils third power-play goal of the weekend. His blast, which extended his scoring streak to three games, came at 7:22 of the second and featured assists from Henrique and Joe Whitney.
Two minutes later, the IceCaps moved back within one goal seconds after a Devils penalty expired. Maxime Macenauer was credited with the goal at 9:30. Before the end of the second, Butler was sprung by Henrique for a breakaway while the teams played four-on-four. Butler's wrister beat IceCaps netminder Mark Dekanich at 12:57. Leach had the second helper.
Zajac scored the team's fifth goal with a wide-open, wraparound goal at 8:51 of the third from Burlon and Steve Zalewski. IceCap Derek Meech concluded the scoring at 13:35.
Frazee, who is now 3-1-2, made seven stops in the first, 14 in the second and 21 in the third. Dekanich finished with 28 saves.
Albany's power-play was 1-for-4, while St. John's went 0-for-8.
The Devils road trip continues with a 7:05 pm contest at the Rochester Americans Friday. Fans can follow the action on 104.5 "The Team" ESPN Radio or online at ahllive.com.
American Hockey League Stories from November 17, 2012
- Nine Rounds Again Texas Blanks Charlotte 1-0 - Texas Stars
- Rivermen Win Third Straight Game - Peoria Rivermen
- Road-Trip Conclusion at Syracuse - Adirondack Phantoms
- Ellis, Checkers Fall in Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Power Past Phantoms - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Dropped by Peoria, 3-2 - Chicago Wolves
- Falcons Claw Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers Blank Monarchs 4-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Snap Skid with Victory over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- Monarchs' Offense Goes Silent in Bridgeport - Manchester Monarchs
- Dainton Steps In, Falcons Sweep Admirals - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Sweep Weekend with 3-2 Win over Amerks - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Drop 3-2 Decision to Senators in Binghamton - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Defeat Pirates 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Penguins Downed by the Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Whale earn 2-1 win - Connecticut Whale
- Reid Buries Goal in 2-1 Loss to Whale - Worcester Sharks
- IceCaps Trumped by Devils 5-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Devils Earn 5-3 Win at St. John's - Albany Devils
- Marlies Tame Bulldogs 6-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Toronto Defeats Hamilton 6-1 - Toronto Marlies
- Whale Sign Forward Shayne Wiebe to PTO - Connecticut Whale
- Senators Defenceman Jared Cowen Undergoes Hip Surgery - Binghamton Senators
- Houston Aeros Recall Josh Caron from Orlando - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Norfolk, Game #14 - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.