Des Moines Wins Fourth in a Row After Defeating Dubuque 3-2
The Buccaneers are on a season long four game winning streak after knocking off the Dubuque Fighting Saints 3-2 on Saturday night.
Des Moines dialed up the pressure in the first period as they outshot Dubuque 10-7 despite having just one power play opportunity to two for the Fighting Saints. The Buccaneers got the first goal of the game on a mad scramble where they didn't give up on the play. Defenseman Scooter Brickey led the rush from the right wing side and circled the net before centering to David Keefer out front. Keefer's shot went off the left post then bounced off netminder Evan Fear and sat on the goal line. The official was thrusting his arms emphatically indicating no goal before Collin Rutherford dove and on the backhand his blade pushed it into the net at the 14:42 mark. It would be the only goal of the period and give the home squad the 1-0 lead going into the locker room.
Des Moines would double their lead in the second period when Rutherford hit Colin Ugbekile in the slot and the defenseman roofed a shot over Fear's blocker 4:03 into the second period. But Dubuque would erase the lead with two goals in a 23 second span as Quinn Preston slipped behind the defense and scored on a breakaway and then Alex Steeves tapped in a pass from Scott Corbett on a rush to tie the game at the 7:24 mark.
The game would remain deadlocked until Cameron Orchard collected a loose puck in the offensive zone and from in tight roofed it over the right shoulder of Fear 7:51 into the third period. Des Moines would hold on despite a late push by Dubuque and prevail 3-2. Jan Ruzicka ended the evening with 27 saves in the victory.
Up next for the Des Moines Buccaneers is a home contest on Saturday, February 25th vs. the Bloomington Thunder. The game is the ARL's Doxie Dash and tickets can be purchased by calling the box office during weekday hours at 278-2827
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2017
- Des Moines Wins Fourth in a Row After Defeating Dubuque 3-2 - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Bucs Break Late Tie, Top Saints - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Forced Out - Madison Capitols
- Gamblers Drop One at Home - Green Bay Gamblers
- Roughriders Catch Fire, Drop Stars 4-3 - Lincoln Stars
- Gallant's Hat Trick Propels Lancers Past Storm - Omaha Lancers
- Lewandowski's One-Timer Lifts Steel to Overtime Victory - Chicago Steel
- Tri-City Drops at Omaha, 6-2 - Tri-City Storm
- Game Tonight: Pink in the Rink Night in Omaha - Omaha Lancers
- 2-17-17 Too Forceful - Madison Capitols
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.