Defender Rafa MárquezReleased by New York Red Bulls
HARRISON, NJ (Dec. 13, 2012) - The New York Red Bulls announced today they have come to a mutual release agreement with defender Rafa Márquez.
Per club regulations, specific terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"This decision has been made in the best interests of both parties concerned," said Red Bulls Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh. "Rafa has accomplished a great deal during his career and is a top quality player. We want to thank him for his service to the Red Bulls and wish him the best of luck in the next stage of his career."
Márquez signed with New York on Aug. 2, 2010 as a Designated Player, coming to Major League Soccer from FC Barcelona. In his two plus seasons with the club, Márquez appeared in 44 regular season games (42 of them starts) and notched one goal and nine assists. Last season, Márquez played in 15 matches and recorded three assists. He started in six playoff games during his time as a Red Bull.
Major League Soccer Stories from December 13, 2012
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Revs Could be Active in Re-Entry Process - New England Revolution
- Jack McBean, Oscar Sorto and Jose Villarreal Named to U.S. Under-20 National Team roster - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Full Game Schedule Announced for Disney Pro Soccer Classic Tournament - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake MF Luis Gil Called to U.S. U-20 National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Midfielder Shane O'Neill Called in for U.S. U-20 Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Young-Pyo Lee to Return for 2013 MLS Season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2013 Preseason Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Yann Songo'o - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Signs Trapp to Homegrown Contract - Columbus Crew SC
- Defender Rafa MárquezReleased by New York Red Bulls - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.