D.C. United Announces 2013 Preseason Schedule
Washington, D.C. (January 3, 2013) - D.C. United today announced the club's preliminary preseason schedule, as the team prepares for the 2013 Major League Soccer campaign. United begins its 18th MLS season with its first game on the road against the Houston Dynamo on Saturday, March 2 in a 2012 Eastern Conference Finals rematch. The kickoff time for the contest will be determined at a later date.
Players are set to report to RFK Stadium on Thursday, January 17 for physicals and fitness testing. The Black-and-Red begin training in Washington, D.C., the following two days before heading to Bradenton, Fla. While in Bradenton, the team will train at IMG Academy, and are confirmed to square off against MalmÃ¶ FF (Sweden) on Friday, February 1 at 11:00 a.m.
The Black-and-Red will return to Washington to train on home turf from Saturday, February 2 to Wednesday, February 6. United will then travel to Orlando, Fla., to play in the Walt Disney Pro Soccer Classic at Walt Disney World, with its first game set to occur on Saturday, February 9 and its last match scheduled for Saturday, February 23. Five other MLS sides - Columbus Crew, Montreal Impact, Philadelphia Union, Sporting Kansas City and Toronto FC - will participate, while USL club Orlando City SC and NASL team Tampa Bay Rowdies will compete as well. The Black-and-Red will open the tournament against Tampa Bay, with games against Sporting Kansas City and Montreal Impact also confirmed.
United heads back to Washington for training from Monday, February 25 to Thursday, February 28, and will then train and travel to Houston, TX on Friday, March 1 ahead of its first regular-season match on Saturday, March 2. One week later - Saturday, March 9 - the Black-and-Red will host Real Salt Lake in its home opener.
Details of D.C. United's preseason schedule are listed below. Please note that the schedule is subject to change and that additional friendlies are expected to be scheduled in Bradenton, Fla.
D.C. United 2013 Preseason Schedule (all times EST)
January 17: Players report to RFK Stadium
January 18-19: Training in Washington, D.C.
January 20-February 1: Preseason trip to Bradenton, Fla. (IMG Academy)
- February 1: D.C. United vs. MalmÃ¶ FF of Sweden (11:00 a.m.)
February 2-6: Training in Washington, D.C.
February 7-24: Preseason trip to Orlando, Fla. (Walt Disney Pro Soccer Classic)
- February 9: D.C. United vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies (8:00 p.m.)
- February 13: Sporting Kansas City vs. D.C. United (6:00 p.m.)
- February 16: Montreal Impact vs. D.C. United (1:00 p.m.)
- February 23: Pro Soccer Classic Championship Day (Draw TBD)
February 25-28: Training in Washington, D.C.
March 1: Train and travel to Houston, TX
March 2: MLS opening match at Houston Dynamo (Time TBD)
March 9: MLS home opener versus Real Salt Lake (Time TBD)
Major League Soccer Stories from January 3, 2013
- US Men's National Team Public Training & Chance to Meet Jurgen Klinsmann on January 28 - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Sign Ecuadorian National Team Defender Diego Calder - Colorado Rapids
- Revs Add Defensive Depth In Goncalves - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers' 'Dribble Oregon' Tour Kicks off Saturday in Vancouver, Wash. - Portland Timbers
- D.C. United Announces 2013 Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Three All-Americans and Jamaican National Team Player Sign Generation adidas Contracts - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Signs DF/MF Lovel Palmer - Real Salt Lake
- PwC US Donates $27,750 to Ronald McDonald House Houston for 37 Houston Dynamo Home Game Goals - Houston Dynamo
- Crew Signs Defender Tyson Wahl - Columbus Crew SC
- Revs Sign Portuguese Defender Jose Goncalves - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.