D.C. United and DC Brau Beer to be Named "The Tradition"
Washington D.C. - D.C. United, in collaboration with DC Brau Brewing Company, LLC, today announced that their limited-edition beer has been named "The Tradition." Out of 534 entries in the "Brand the Brew" contest, Donald Wine II's submission* reigned supreme, with midfielder Chris Pontius, defender Ethan White and defender Dejan Jakovic ultimately choosing the name for Washington, D.C.'s first-ever team-specific brew. While harkening back to the Black-and-Red's rich history in MLS, "The Tradition" also tips its hat to DC Brau's customary naming scheme of its beers, which includes "The Public," "The Citizen" and "The Corruption."
WATCH: CHRIS PONTIUS SURPRISES WINNER WITH A PHONE CALL
"We are humbled and excited to have been asked to create a brew to honor this great team, their passionately unrivaled fans and our beloved city," said Brandon Skall, CEO of DC Brau. "It is with great pride that we offer The Tradition.'"
"[To] have a beer that I named in kegs or on shelves, or even just to have people drinking it-I'm going to be walking around with the utmost pride that I was even a part of that," said Donald Wine II, the contest winner and a member of Screaming Eagles.
"When I first moved here, the first thing that I wanted to do was go to a D.C. United match. From there, being a supporter has been awesome-it's basically a family," Wine II added.
DC Brau will debut its collaboration with D.C. United at this week's Growler Hours at 3178 Bladensburg Road NE. This super fresh summertime brew will be offered for tastings and growler fills this Saturday, June 8 only from 12-4 p.m. DC Brau has set aside two Kegs of "The Tradition" to sell in growler format and one sixtel for public tasting. Fans wearing D.C. United gear or showing their 2013 season ticket holder card will receive $1 off DC Brau growlers of "The Tradition." It will be the one and only chance to take home a few ounces of this historic collaboration brew. **Media who wish to cover this event should RSVP to Sarah Lerner at firstname.lastname@example.org.**
"D.C. United is a club steeped in tradition, not only on the field but in the stands and beyond in Lot 8," said D.C. United Marketing Manager Andrew Minucci. "It is only fitting our supporters chose this name for a unique ale from the District's finest brewers."
"The Tradition" will be tapped at kickoff during Saturday's D.C. United vs. New England Revolution viewing party at The Pug (1234 H Street NE), marking the first time the brew will be available for purchase at any bar. Each fan that purchases any DC Brau beer at The Pug will be entered to win two (2) tickets to Black-and-Red's next home match vs. Toronto FC on June 15, with a new winner being selected every 15 minutes of the United-Revolution game.
The rest of the batch is available exclusively at participating D.C. United bar partners. For a full list of participating bars, stay tuned to www.dcunited.com.
Beer Specifications of "The Tradition":
Approx.: ABV: 4.5-5.0%
Hops: U.S. Fuggle, U.S. Cascade
Malts: Pale, CaraPils
Major League Soccer Stories from June 6, 2013
- Rivera, Proud of Our Crest - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Under-16 Team Advances to Development Academy Playoffs - Colorado Rapids
- New England's Youngsters Developing Into Key Contributors - New England Revolution
- Warzycha Says Expect Changes After Loss in Philly - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Seek to Show More Fortitude if They Fall Behind - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy Media Notes - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo to Hold Open Tryout September 21 - Houston Dynamo
- Whitecaps Trade Rochat to D.C. United - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquires Defender/Midfielder Alain Rochat - D.C. United
- Over 35,000 Tickets Sold to Earthquakes' June 29 Game vs. LA Galaxy - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union to Honor Military Heroes July 20th - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United and DC Brau Beer to be Named "The Tradition" - D.C. United
- Bad Stretch Dooms Crew - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.