Cyclones Win Big in Regular Season Home Finale
Cincinnati, OH- The Cincinnati Cyclones (36-29-4-0) earned a 5-3 win over the Toledo Walleye on Saturday night, in the final home game of the 2016-17 regular season. Forwards Nick Huard, Justin MacDonald, Seth Ambroz, and Christiaan Minella, along with defenseman Martin Lefebvre scored the goals for the Cyclones, who are now tied for the fourth and final playoff spot in the ECHL's South Division.
The Cyclones drew first blood in this one with just over two minutes to play on the opening period when Huard took the puck at the top of the left circle and hammered a slapshot in past Toledo goaltender Cal Heeter to put the Cyclones ahead, 1-0.
Cincinnati added to their lead with eight seconds left in the frame when defenseman Eric Knodel sent a pass to Lefebvre at the center blueline, and he blasted a shot in to give the 'Clones a 2-0 lead after 20 minutes.
The Walleye were not deterred and managed to tie the game after the second, on goals from forward Carter Sandlak, and a power play marker from forward Evan Rankin.
The Cyclones came out firing in the third and regained the lead just 3:11 in when defenseman Jonatan Diaby sent a pass to MacDonald who buried it past Heeter to put Cincinnati up, 3-2.
The special teams got into the mix midway through the frame when Ambroz forced a turnover at the center red line while shorthanded, and skated in to the offensive zone where he backhanded a shot over the shoulder of Heeter to push Cincinnati's lead to 4-2.
That lead became 5-2 with less than four minutes remaining when MacDonald sent a pass to Minella at the offensive blueline, and he barreled in on goal and scored, 17:26 into the final period.
Toledo managed to tack on one more from forward Dane Walters, however it was not enough and the Cyclones held on for the 5-3 win. The Cyclones were outshot, 32-19 on the night, with goaltender Michael Houser stopping 29 in the win.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 2, 2017
- Royals Claim Playoff Spot with 5-3 Win in Wheeling - Reading Royals
- DeBlouw Nets Game-Winner at Missouri - Wichita Thunder
- Royals Punch Final Playoff Ticket with 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Naclerio's Winner :36 Seconds into Overtime Gives Atlanta the Victory in Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Solar Bears Inch Closer to Playoff Spot in 4-3 OT Loss to Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets to Face Mallards in Round 1 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fuel Claim Shootout Win over Cincinnati; Extend Point Streak to Five Games - Indy Fuel
- Devin's Overtime Goal Sends Rays Past Orlando - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Suffer Tough Shootout Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Monarchs Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-2 Victory over Elmira - Manchester Monarchs
- Jackals Edged out in Series Finale by Monarchs - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Transactions - April 2 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Add Defenseman Blake Thompson - Orlando Solar Bears
- Americans Hold on for 3-2 Win over Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Komm Stops 31 Shots in 3-0 Shutout of Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Fuel Keep Point Streak Alive in Shootout Loss to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Win Big in Regular Season Home Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Come up Short in Playoff-Like Slugfest with Everblades - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Suffer Third Period Stumble in 5-2 Loss to Brampton - Reading Royals
- GAME REPORT: Oilers Heavily Out-Chance Americans in Narrow Loss - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.