Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2
WHEELING, West Virginia - The Cincinnati Cyclones (26-14-4-1) scored the first two goals of the game for the twelfth time this season and never looked back as they knocked off the Wheeling Nailers (20-15-3-5) by a 4-2 final score in front of 2,309 at WesBanco Arena on Sunday afternoon.
Early in the first period, Cincinnati jumped ahead 1-0 as Mike Pelech slammed in a rebound past Scott Darling L, 21 saves, 9-6-1-1) for his ninth goal of the season at the 3:17 mark. With the strike, Pelech extended his point-scoring streak to five games. And thanks to nine saves from Zoltan Hetenyi (W, 26 saves, 5-4-0) at the other end, the Cyclones took a one-goal edge into the first intermission.
The Cyclones added to their lead midway through the middle stanza as Dan Eves fired a shot right along the ice from the left circle that beat Darling under the pad with 12:49 gone, giving Cincinnati a 2-0 cushion. Like Pelech earlier, Eves' tally gave him a five-game point-scoring streak. Meanwhile, Hetenyi was solid again between the pipes - making 12 more saves to keep the Cyclones up 2-0 after 40 minutes.
Wheeling ended Hetenyi's shutout bid at the 10:46 mark as Chris Barton grabbed a rebound in the low slot and banged in his 11th goal of the year, pulling his team to within one. However, just 22 seconds later, the Cyclones responded as Matt Smyth stationed himself in the Nailers' slot and snapped home his first goal for Cincinnati to restore the two-goal lead. Then, at 17:11, Mathieu Aubin cannoned in a power play goal from the left circle to give his team a 4-1 advantage. Zack Torquato got the Nailers back on the board one last time with less than three minutes to play, sending a point shot over Hetenyi through a screen. But a 4-2 lead would be too much for Wheeling to overcome as the Cyclones preserved the win to earn their fifth point out of a possible six on the weekend.
The Cyclones Radio Network Stars of the Game are as follows:
First Star: Mike Pelech (1 goal, 1 assist for Cincinnati)
Second Star: Matt Smyth (1 goal, 1 assist for Cincinnati)
Third Star: Dan Eves (1 goal, 1 assist for Cincinnati)
The Cyclones will return to the ice at U.S. Bank Arena on Thursday, January 31 when they welcome in the Toledo Walleye! Fans 21 and up can enjoy $1 PBR and Miller High Life all night long. Plus, we'll celebrate "Greek Night" where fans are encouraged to wear their fraternity and sorority letters to the game! Call 513.421.PUCK or visit CyclonesHockey.com to reserve your seats! Fans can also get the latest team updates throughout the season on Facebook and Twitter (@CincyCyclones).
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.