Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers
WHEELING, WV- On Sunday afternoon, the Wheeling Nailers saw a couple of streaks end, as they played host to the Cincinnati Cyclones at WesBanco Arena. Cincinnati scored once in each of the first two periods, then twice in the third, en route to a 4-2 victory over the Nailers. The setback ended Wheeling's five-game home winning streak, as well as their four-game point streak.
The Cyclones opened the scoring at the 3:17 mark of the first period. Mathieu Aubin picked up the puck in the slot, before feeding Michael Pelech on the left side of the crease. Pelech took advantage of Wheeling scrambling around, potting the lone goal of the frame.
Midway through the second, the visitors added to their lead. Pelech stole the puck in the offensive zone, handing the puck to linemate Matt Smyth. Smyth made one more pass, setting up Dan Eves, who wristed in a shot from the left circle for a 2-0 Cincinnati lead after two periods of play.
The Nailers got on the board at the 10:46 mark of the third period. Zack Torquato blasted a shot toward the net that was blocked in front. However, the rebound came free to Chris Barton, who flipped it into the back of the net, giving him 21 points in 21 games. However, the Cyclones had a quick answer, as Matt Smyth finished off Trevor Lewis' centering pass, 22 seconds later. With 2:49 left in the game, Cincinnati took a 4-1 advantage, as Mathieu Aubin picked the top corner of the goal from the top of the left circle. 30 seconds after that, Torquato brought Wheeling to within one, putting a wrist shot just inside of the right post, making the final score 4-2, in favor of the Cyclones.
Zoltan Hetenyi picked up the win for Cincinnati, making 26 saves on 28 shots. Scott Darling took the loss for Wheeling, stopping 21 of the 25 shots he faced.
The Nailers will begin a home-and-home series with the Reading Royals on Wednesday at 7:05 from Sovereign Center, before returning to WesBanco Arena on Friday night at 7:00.
Group and single game tickets can be purchased by calling 304-234-4625 or 1-877-NAIL-TIX. All Nailers games will be broadcast on Wheeling's rock station EAGLE 107 (107.5 FM). Fans can also listen to and watch all Nailers games on wheelingnailers.com.
2012-2013 Wheeling Nailers season tickets, flex pack tickets, group tickets and single-game tickets are on sale now! For as little as $10 per game, you can enjoy the many benefits of being a Nailers season ticket holder including reserved seating for all home games at WesBanco Arena, the option to redeem unused tickets, discounts on team merchandise and access to exclusive season ticket holder-only events with the team. Convenient payment plans are available. For more information on how to join our team by becoming a Wheeling Nailers season ticket holder, or for more information on Flex Pack tickets or group tickets, call 304-234-4625 or 1-877-NAIL-TIX, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.wheelingnailers.com. Nailers single-game tickets are available at the WesBanco Arena Box Office, any Ticketmaster Outlet, online at www.ticketmaster.com, or by calling 304-234-4625 or 1-877-NAIL-TIX.
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2013
- Reed, Riendeau help Thunder get last laugh in season series with win - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Fall To Bulls 3-2 In Overtime - Alaska Aces
- SF Bulls Stun Aces With 3-2 Overtime Win - San Francisco Bulls
- Early Attack Dooms Titans In Elmira, Fall 8-1 - Trenton Titans
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1, Grizzlies Take 2 of 3 on Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Everblades Cruise Past Road Warriors 6-2 - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones End a Pair of Streaks for Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Snap Road Warriors' Winning Ways - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Win Clash with Titans - Elmira Jackals
- Idaho captures wild OT win in Gwinnett - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads get past Gladiators 6-5 in Overtime - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Slam Nailers in Sunday Matinee, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Royals Win 4-1 Over Wranglers - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors Comeback To Defeat K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays End Homestand with 5-2 Victory over Solar Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Orlando Closes Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to South Carolina - Orlando Solar Bears
- Boyd delivers yet again as Condors stun Kalamazoo in overtime, 3-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Face Aces in Weekend Rubber Match - San Francisco Bulls
- ECHL Transactions - January 27 - ECHL
- Forward Matt Beca Returns to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- Trenton Titans GameDay at Elmira - January 27; Game 43 (Away 20) - Trenton Titans
- Defensemen Mark Mitera and Patrick Wellar Return to Reading - Reading Royals
- Lee Assigned to Gwinnett from AHL Portland - Atlanta Gladiators
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings Vs Condors - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Wheeling - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at South Carolina Stingrays - January 27 - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Today - January 27 - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Host Orlando on Kid's Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- SF Bulls Held off by Aces, 2-1 - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Hang on to Edge Bulls 2-1 - Alaska Aces
- Reed ignites Teddy Bear Toss with goal before 8,026 fans in Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Tie Late; Beat Stockton in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.