Curve Groundskeeper Ben Young Named 2013 E.L. Diamond Pro Sports
CURVE, Pa. - Altoona Curve Head Groundskeeper Ben Young has been named the 2013 Eastern League Diamond Pro Sports Field Manager of the Year in a pregame announcement made today at Peoples Natural Gas Field by the Eastern League. It's the first career E.L. Sports Field Manager of the Year accolade for Young and it's the first time a Curve head groundskeeper has taken home the award since 2006. The yearly award is voted upon by field staffs and umpires of the 12-team Eastern League.
Young, who is in his second season as the head groundskeeper with the Curve, spent time Glendale, Ariz. maintaining the spring training facility of the Chicago White Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers before coming to Curve, Pa. Prior to his time in Arizona, Young spent five seasons with the Gateway Grizzlies of the Frontier League where he took home the "Craig Kuhl" Award for best groundskeeper of the year in 2010.
Also deserving recognition for the care of Peoples Natural Gas Field during 2013 are Young's full-time assistants Cody Kaniecki and Andrew Keller as well as game-day employees Alexis Ebersole, Bobby Hughes, Chris Krozel, Craig Replogle and Shayne Rossman.
"Ben has done a tremendous job with our playing surface since the moment we hired him two years ago," said Curve General Manager Rob Egan. "He's focused on playability first and foremost and is excellent in working with the players and coaches to ensure the field is the best it can be.
"This has been a trying season weather-wise in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic that has posed challenges to the surface and the ability to play games as scheduled. Because of his organized field maintenance schedule and outstanding relationships with our staff, umpires, and local meteorologists, he has ensured quality playing conditions even in adverse weather. We could not be prouder of the job Ben has done and are thrilled to see him rewarded for his efforts."
Diamond Pro offers a complete line of professional groundskeeping products which include infield conditioners, calcined clay products, mound & home plate clays, clay bricks, marking dust, green divot sand, infield and warning track mixes. The newest addition to the Diamond Pro family of products is Double Play Infield Conditioner, a first of its kind product that is an ideal blend of Vitrified Red Infield Conditioner and Professional Calcined Clay Conditioner, together in one bag. Diamond Pro(r) professional groundskeeping products deliver long lasting performance and quality while enhancing the look and feel of a well-maintained field. Diamond Pro is a subsidiary of Dallas, Texas based Texas Industries, Inc. (TXI) which is a leading supplier of construction products, including cement, ready-mixed concrete, and lightweight aggregate, in the western United States. For more information visit www.diamondpro.com and follow them on Facebook and Twitter (@DiamondProTXI).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 15, 2013
- Thunder Win Streak Over, Sens Win 6-5 - Trenton Thunder
- Pettibone Back to Form in Fightins Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- Bullpen Breakdown Opens Door for Squirrels in 9-6 Win over Aeros - Akron RubberDucks
- Jesus Takes the Wheel as Squirrels Stun Aeros Again, 9-6 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fisher Cats Pound Rock Cats in Finale 9-3 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rodriguez Roasts SeaWolves - Bowie Baysox
- Offense Erupts Late in Rubber Match, 9-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rock Cats Knocked Around in Front of 6,441, Lose 9-3 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Doyle seven scoreless, but Sea Dogs fall 3-0 in Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Curve Take Series from Sea Dogs on Thursday - Altoona Curve
- Curve Groundskeeper Ben Young Named 2013 E.L. Diamond Pro Sports - Altoona Curve
- Altoona's Ben Young Named Diamond Pro Sports Field Manager of the Year - EL
- Outfield Prospects Mason Williams & Ben Gamel Promoted To Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs vs. Curve - Game Notes - August 15, 2013 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Altoona Curve Game Information: August 15, 2013 - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets vs. Fightin Phils - Game Notes - August 15, 2013 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Squirrels Announce Second Annual Nutzy's Rotary Funn Run - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Just 7 Sea Dogs' Home Games Remain - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.