Crunch Struggle against Amerks
Syracuse, NY- The Syracuse Crunch fell to the Rochester Americans 5-3 tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
The Crunch have struggled against their 1-90 rivals all season as Rochester now leads the season series 5-1-0-0.
With tonight's loss the Crunch drop their overall record to 25-12-2-4 and fall to 9-7-2-2 at the War Memorial. Goaltender Riku Helenius stopped 16 of 21 shots in defeat while his Rochester counterpart David Leggio stopped 43 of 46 shots.
Rochester opened the scoring with 8:12 to play in the opening frame. Helenius made the initial save on a Brayden McNabb shot but the rebound went straight to the stick of Patrick Rissmiller who gave the Amerks a 1-0 lead.
Richard Panik tied the game with his 20th goal of the season. After a scramble in front of Leggio the puck was stalled on the goal line before Panik pushed it over the line with 8:32 to play in the second. JT Wyman and Mike Angelidis picked up assists.
Less than a minute later former Crunch forward Rick Schofield scored his sixth goal of the season with a shot from the left side at the 12:06 mark of the second period. Nick Crawford added a power-play goal at the 14:16 mark to send Rochester into the second intermission with a 3-1 lead.
Rochester scored the first two goals of the final frame to extend their lead to 5-1. Kevin Sundher scored at the 7:34 mark after a give-and-go play with Mark Mancari and Kevin Porter beat Helenius with a wrist shot glove side.
The Crunch added third period goals from Brett Connolly and Danick Gauthier but were unable to overcome the deficit, falling 5-3.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 2, 2013
- Cundari Powers Rivermen Past Wolves - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Struggle against Amerks - Syracuse Crunch
- Brock Nelson's first pro hat trick propels Sound Tigers to 4-1 victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons edge Connecticut - Connecticut Whale
- Wolves Struggles against Peoria Continue, Fall 5-3 - Chicago Wolves
- Petr Mrazek Earns First Pro Shutout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Shut Out 1-0 in Grand Rapids - Abbotsford Heat
- Hershey Leaves Bitter Taste with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Grind out Goalie-Duel Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sharks Fall Short 2-0 in Front of 7,966 - Worcester Sharks
- Penguins Down Phantoms for Fifth Straight Home Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Falcons Quiet Whale - Springfield Falcons
- Whale Draw Second-Largest Crowd in Franchise History - Connecticut Whale
- Sound Tigers Claw Past Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Devils Shut out by Pirates - Albany Devils
- Bears Fire Away, Defeat Monarchs - Hershey Bears
- Bruins Extend Streak to Five - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Blank Senators to Sweep Series - St. John's IceCaps
- B-Sens Fall to IceCaps, 1-0 - Binghamton Senators
- Toronto Downs Hamilton 4-2 - Toronto Marlies
- Marlies Defeat Bulldogs 4-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Dallas Recalls Reilly Smith from Texas - Texas Stars
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Connecticut, Game #44 - Springfield Falcons
- Sound Tigers Recall Reiter - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.