Crunch Run Over by Rampage
San Antonio, TX (December 4, 2008) - The Syracuse Crunch knows all about streaks and you can bet that tonight they did not want to be the team that was on the receiving end when San Antonio broke its 17-game winless slide. Unfortunately, that was the case, as Syracuse was shut out by the Rampage by a 3-0 count tonight at the AT&T Center in front of 2,917 fans.
The Crunch looked tentative and skated with heavy legs in the first period. San Antonio took advantage of that and earned a 1-0 lead at the 18:03 mark of the frame by outworking and outshooting Syracuse by a 12-8 margin.
Chad Kolarik finished off a neat give and go with Wyatt Smith as he skated in down the left side, dropped a pass for Smith and shot a one-timer off a sharp angle feed back that deflected up and over Dan LaCosta for the 1-0 advantage.
The Rampage carried its momentum into the second period and went up by a 2-0 count just 26 seconds in as San Antonio captain Jeff Hoggan put one past LaCosta with Kolarik and Smith picking up the assists.
San Antonio once again controlled most of the action in the frame as they peppered LaCosta with 18 more bids and stretched their lead to 3-0 at the 15:23 mark when former Crunch member Joakim Lindstrom, playing in his first game with the Rampage since being traded yesterday, took the puck behind the net, worked his way to the front and got a shot in on LaCosta.
Untouched, Lindstrom found the rebound to his own shot and slipped it past LaCosta to the blocker side.
It appeared the Crunch cut San Antonio's lead to 3-1 halfway through the third when Craig MacDonald stuffed in a rebound chance, but referee Zac Weibe ruled no goal on the play.
San Antonio goaltender Josh Tordjman recorded his and the Rampage's first shutout of the season by stopping all 27 shots he faced.
CRUNCHABLES: Left wing Kevin Harvey appeared in first AHL game tonight...Defenseman Kyle Wharton skated in his first game of the season for Syracuse...Tonight marked the second time the Crunch has been shut out this season...Nikita Filatov, Craig MacDonald and Alexandre Picard all saw their respective three-game point-scoring streaks come to an end tonight...With an 0-for-5 night tonight, the Crunch's power play is just two for its last 45.
American Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2008
- Crunch Run Over by Rampage - Syracuse Crunch
- Rampage Roll 3-0, End Losing Streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Bulldogs Lose 5-4 Decision to Admirals - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Panthers Reassign Welch to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Icehogs to Give Away Winter Classic Tickets - Rockford IceHogs
- College and Pro Hockey Both at Quicken Loans Arena - Lake Erie Monsters
- River Rats Continue Holiday Tradition - Albany River Rats
- Houston Aeros earn point, fall 3-2 in shootout to Manitoba Moose - Houston Aeros
- Crunch Announce Details of Special Chevron Night Featuring Mario Andretti - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Sweep Four-Game Series Against Aeros - Manitoba Moose
- Senators Assign Ryan Shannon To Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Blues Assign Steve Regier Back to Peoria - Peoria Rivermen
- Support the National Down Syndrome Congress Through the Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Sign Left Wing Kevin Harvey to Professional Tryout Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Worcester Sharks host "Hat & Mittens Holiday Skate with the Sharks" - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals Annual Toy Toss Set for Next Friday - Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals Holiday Gift Packs Now Available - Norfolk Admirals
- Lightning Reassign D Quick and RW Lawrence to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Lightning Recall D Matt Smaby from Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Chris Chelios to Join Griffins on Friday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Aeros annual kids day game begins at 11:05 a.m. today - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.