Crunch Ink Three Players to AHL Deals
Syracuse, NY (July 18, 2011) - The Syracuse Crunch announced today that they have signed left wings John Mitchell and Kevin King and defenseman Nick Schaus each to a one-year, American Hockey League contract. As per club policy, financial terms of the deals were not disclosed.
Mitchell, 25, appeared in 60 games for the Crunch during his rookie campaign last season, recording 19 points (9g, 10a) and 64 penalty minutes. He also spent three games with Elmira (ECHL) last year, picking up two points (1g, 1a). Prior to turning pro, Mitchell spent four years at the University of Wisconsin from 2006-10, scoring 61 points (32g, 29a) in 139 contests. A native of Neenah, Wisconsin, Mitchell skated in 74 combined United States Hockey League (USHL) games with Tri-City, Green Bay and Indiana from 2004-06, recording 17 points (9g, 8a).
King, 21, appeared in 68 games with the Kootenay Ice of the Western Hockey League (WHL) last season, notching 76 points (33g, 43a) and 88 penalty minutes. In addition, he tallied 16 points (5g, 11a) in 19 playoff contests, helping his club capture the WHL Championship and a berth in the Memorial Cup Tournament. A native of Calgary, Alberta, King appeared in 335 career WHL games with Kootenay in five seasons from 2006-11, registering 227 points (95g, 132a) and 348 penalty minutes.
Schaus, 25, appeared in 77 games with Worcester last season, contributing 19 points (4g, 15a) and 46 penalty minutes. He skated in four games with Worcester in 2009-10, tallying three assists, and went on to record three more assists and 14 penalty minutes in 11 Calder Cup Playoff games for the Sharks. A native of Orchard Park, NY, Schaus spent four years at UMass-Lowell (Hockey East) from 2006-10, recording 65 points (10g, 55a) and 220 penalty minutes in 148 career games.
Season tickets for the 2011-12 season are now on sale and can be purchased by calling the Crunch office at (315) 473-4444, or by stopping by the Crunch office in the War Memorial at Oncenter, located at 800 South State Street in downtown Syracuse. For the latest Crunch information, fans can visit the team's official website (www.syracusecrunch.com), or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/syracusecrunch).
American Hockey League Stories from July 18, 2011
- Texas to Host Meet and Greet with Head Coach Jeff Pyle this Wednesday - Texas Stars
- IceHogs Fans to be Featured in Season Ticket Booklet - Rockford IceHogs
- Sheldon Steps away from Abbotsford Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Tom Mauthe Resigns as Heat President - Abbotsford Heat
- Devils Announce First Preseason Game - Albany Devils
- Texas Stars Name Jeff Truitt Assistant Coach - Texas Stars
- Monsters to Start Fifth Anniversary Season at Home on October 7th - Cleveland Monsters
- B-Sens 2011 Open House Set for Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Announce 2011-12 Schedule Format - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blues Sign Ryan Reaves to One-Year Contract - Peoria Rivermen
- Checkers Add Netminder Muse - Charlotte Checkers
- Crunch Ink Three Players to AHL Deals - Syracuse Crunch
- Whale Announce Preseason Schedule - Connecticut Whale
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.