Crew Youth Update: December 5
COLUMBUS - The Crew Soccer Academy closed out the fall portion of its season at the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Winter Showcase in Sarasota, Florida over the weekend. The U-16 squad went 1-2-0, beating the New England Revolution and falling to Solar Chelsea FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC. Silankonet Bayo led the team in scoring with two goals.
The U-18s also finished 1-2-0 at the Showcase. The Black & Gold was victorious over Solar Chelsea FC, but lost to the New England Revolution and Vancouver Whitecaps FC. Andrew McKelvey found the net twice to lead the team in scoring. The USSDA season will resume in March of 2013.
Nate Kohl and William Bayemi were both picked to play in the select game, a match where U.S Soccer scouts select players from across the country to participate. In the match, Kohl assisted on Bayemi's goal.
Also in a showcase, the U-16, U-17 and U-18 Crew Juniors Gold girls squads traveled to Raleigh, North Carolina for the CASL Women's Showcase Soccer Series. The teams posted a 3-3-3 record and were seen by several coaches from all NCAA Divisions, as well as coaches representing NAIA schools.
On the youth international stage, Ben Swanson and CSA Wolves striker Ahinga Selemani helped the U.S. U-17 Men's National Team to a 1-1-1 record in the Nike International Friendlies series over the weekend. The Stars and Stripes started the tournament with a 4-4 draw against Brazil before beating Turkey 4-1 and losing to Portugal 4-3 to close out the weekend. Swanson featured in all three matches, while Selemani scored twice in the tourney.
In the Men's NCAA Division III National Championship, Luke Helmuth, Jack Thompson and Logan Thompson helped Messiah when its ninth title in school history over Ryan Sabol and Austin Windsor's Ohio Northern side. Jack Thompson recorded two assists in the 5-1 victory.
On the women's side, Mackenzie Clapper helped Messiah claim a 1-0 victory over Emory in the DIII National Championship game.
The NCAA Division I Tournament held its Elite Eight round over the weekend. Here are how the remaining Crew Youth alumni performed:
No. 10 LOUISVILLE -- Alex Obbey: 3-1 L vs. Maryland
No. 3 GEORGETOWN -- David Witkoff (DNP): 3-1 W vs. San Diego, will face Maryland Friday in NCAA College Cup
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 5, 2012
- Arena Already Thinking Ahead to Next Season - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Forward Calen Carr Suffers Torn ACL - Houston Dynamo
- Crew Youth Update: December 5 - Columbus Crew SC
- 'Caps Hold Clearance Sale at BC Place - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Acquires Second Round Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Montreal Impact
- Sporting KC Acquires Josh Gardner from Montreal Impact - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Announces Holiday Ticket Package - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Goalkeeper Sean Johnson to Train in England - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.