Crew Acquires 2006 First Round Draft Pick From Colorado For Jeff Cunningham
BALTIMORE (Friday, Jan. 14) Columbus Crew Head Coach Greg Andrulis announced today that The Crew has traded forward Jeff Cunningham to the Colorado Rapids for their natural First Round MLS SuperDraft pick in 2006. The Crew now owns two First Round picks in next years draft.
As with any deal, there are a lot of factors that come into play, said Andrulis. Jeff has been a valuable member of The Crew since 1998 and we wish him the best of luck in Colorado. But this move clears salary cap space for us and changes the dynamic of our team. This trade is just a piece of the bigger puzzle as we continue to build our team for 2005 and the future.
Cunningham was The Crews First Round selection in the 1998 MLS Draft. He leaves Columbus as the teams second all-time leading scorer with 167 points on 62 goals and 43 assists. The Montego Bay, Jamaica native, also had three goals and recorded five assists in 16 postseason games. The former University of South Florida star finished the 2004 season with nine goals and four assists for 22 points.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 14, 2005
- Chivas USA picks GK Brad Guzan - MLS SuperDraft 2005 - MLS
- Provo girl counts on countess - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Select Seven Players and Make Two Major Trades at 2005 MLS SuperDraft in Baltimore - San Jose Earthquakes
- No. 1 Pick Nikolas Besagno of Real Salt Lake Becomes Second Youngest Player Drafted in MLS History - MLS
- Galaxy select five players at 2005 MLS SuperDraft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Wizards Bolster Attack in 2005 MLS SuperDraft, Land Sasha Victorine in Trade - Sporting Kansas City
- Columbus Selects Marcus Storey, Domenic Mediate And Knox Cameron In 2005 MLS SuperDraft - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars Select Two Players in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Lands Nick Van Sicklen, Tim Merritt in Draft - D.C. United
- Revolution takes three defensive players in MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Finishes Successful Day at 2005 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Crew Acquires 2006 First Round Draft Pick From Colorado For Jeff Cunningham - Columbus Crew SC
- MetroStars Acquire a Portion of an Allocation and Youth International Spot from San Jose Earthquakes - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Acquire Rising Star Ricardo Clark From MetroStars - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Acquires GoalKeeper Henry Ring and 2006 Second Round Pick - FC Dallas
- Revolution selects Michael Parkhurst with ninth pick in MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Acquires Richard Mulrooney, Arturo Alvarez, Picks from San Jose - FC Dallas
- RSL Selects 16-Year Old Nik Besagno with #1 Overall Pick in 2005 MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.