CORRECTION GAME RECAP (05/18/16): Saints Sink RailCats, 5-2, In
ST. PAUL Minn. - Mark Hambuger and Charle Rosario exchanged scoreless frames through the first five frames in their season debuts, however, a two-out, five-run sixth inning propelled the St. Paul Saints to a 5-2 win over the Gary SouthShore RailCats on Thursday night at CHS Field in front of 8,294 fans. Hamburger (1-0) retired 10 straight at one point and didn't allow a single baserunner to reach third base until the ninth inning while Rosario (0-1) retired 14 conseutive batters and struck eight over 5.2 innings.
St. Paul (1-0) didn't have a single baseunner reach third until their five-run sixth. Nate Hanson opened the scoring with a three-run blast to left and added their final two runs onTony Thomas' two-run homer to left-center.
Jaime Del Valle ended Hamburger's shutout with a two-run single to right-field, plating Anthony Cheky Jr. and Alex Crosby. Del Valle's two-run single was also one of his team-high two hits on the night.
Seth Rosin (1) secured the win with the save in the ninth. The 6'6" right-hander struck out both batters he faced to end the game.
Jack Fowler struck out four and tossed 2.1 scoreless innings of relief in his American Association debut while Ryan Fitzgerald recorded his first professional hit with a single to leadoff the eighth. The RailCats (0-1) and Saints continue their four-game series tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. LHP Alex Gunn (0-0) makes his first start of the season for Gary while St. Paul counters with LHP Eric Veglahn (0-0, 0.00).
Gary's home opener is on Friday, May 26 vs. the Texas Airhogs. Friday's game vs. the Airhogs is a Fifth Third Bank Fireworks Friday and features a free magnet schedule giveaway. The first 1,000 fans receive a free magnet schedule, courtesy of Great Lakes Orthopedics.
Jared Shlensky and Austin Anderson bring you all 100 RailCats games this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Fans can purchase tickets for RailCats home games by calling (219) 882-BALL or online at railcatsbaseball.com. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 19, 2017
- AirHogs Drop Regular Season Opener to Fargo-Moorhead - Texas AirHogs
- AirHogs Drop Regular Season-Opener to Fargo-Moorhead - Texas AirHogs
- Bircher and the Birds Fall 2-1 in Series Opener - Sioux Falls Canaries
- CORRECTION GAME RECAP (05/18/16): Saints Sink RailCats, 5-2, In - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goldeyes Begin Defence of Championship with Victory - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Game Recap - Season Opener - Sioux City Explorers
- GAME RECAP (05/18/18): Saints Shutout RailCats, 5-0, in Season Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Stick to Script, Homers and Hamburger Help Saints to 5-2 Opening Night Win - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.