Coon's 2-Out RBI-Single Wins It in 10
HOOVER, Ala.- Brad Coon ripped a two-out, RBI-single up the middle in the tenth inning to give the Biscuits (54-44/18-12) the lead in a 5-4 win over the Birmingham Barons (44-55/14-16) in the series finale Sunday afternoon at Regions Park.
Tyler Bortnick and Michael Sheridan both walked with one out in the tenth. A fielder's choice off the bat of Kyeong Kang put runners on the corners to set the stage for Coon's game-winning hit. Coon finished the game 1-for-4 with two RBI.
The Biscuits nearly finished the game in nine innings. With runners on first and second in the bottom of the ninth, Luis Sierra was down to the Barons' last strike, but the pinch-hitter smacked a line-drive into left off of Kirby Yates (1-2) to tie the game. Yates would go on to pitch a perfect bottom of the tenth to get the win.
Kyeong Kang gave the Biscuits their first lead of the day with a solo HR off Jake Petricka in the third inning. The Barons quickly answered when Andy Wilkins smashed a bases-clearing double to put Birmingham on top 3-1 after three innings. Montgomery took their second lead of the game with a bases-loaded walk from Coon in the eighth to make it 4-3 Biscuits.
Biscuits starter Nick Barnese battled control issues through five innings. He allowed three runs on three hits and three walks in a no-decision. Chris Rearick pitched two scoreless innings in his double-A debut.
The Biscuits will open up a five-game-series with the Jackson Generals on Tuesday at 7:05 from Jackson, Tennessee. RHP Alex Colome will start for Montgomery. Jackson's starter has yet to be announced.
Southern League Stories from July 22, 2012
- Coon's 2-Out RBI-Single Wins It in 10 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Barons Rally in Ninth, Fall in Tenth - Birmingham Barons
- Smokies Salvage Series Finale in Chattanooga - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Blanked by Blue Wahoos in Series Finale - Mobile BayBears
- Suns Burn Braves in Finale - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Lookouts and Smokies Split Two - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Tying Run Stranded in Ninth as Braves Fall to Suns 2-1 - Mississippi Braves
- Peter Moylan to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- O'Malley, Rearick Join Biscuits; Liberatore to AAA - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.