Condors raise $19,900 in Ducks-style Jersey Auction
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Bakersfield Condors held the Anaheim Ducks-style Jersey Off Our Backs Raffle and Auction Saturday night, raising a total of $19,900 for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Kern County. Following the game, fans bid on the jerseys, which featured all the trappings of the Ducks jerseys with the exception of the Condors crest on the chest.
Andrew Ianiero's #9 jersey set the high mark for the night, bringing in $2,900. Ianiero jerseys have brought in $22,275 in jersey auction history, the third most among any Condors player. Captain Jay Langager's #6 jersey was a close second, bringing home $2,500.
"We've had a great relationship with the Condors for many years, which has opened doors of opportunity for literally thousands of kids throughout Kern County," said Executive Director Zane Smith. "We're extremely grateful to the Condors and their gracious fans for reaching out to the Boys and Girls Club by purchasing jerseys."
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Kern County provide after school programs and summer camps for children. The money raised in the jersey auction will fund scholarships for children in Kern's homeless shelters to attend these educational and enrichment summer camps, where they will participate in fine arts, computer classes, cooking and nutrition classes and physical education.
The Ontario Reign also appeared in specialty jerseys representing their NHL affiliates, the LA Kings. Both teams donned their jerseys on Sunday night when the Condors traveled to Ontario, with the Reign's proceeds benefiting an Ontario-area hospital.
The Condors jersey auctions, which date back to the Condors inaugural season in 1998-99, have now eclipsed the $600,000 mark! The next Jersey Off Our Backs Raffle and Auction will be Saturday, March 14 to benefit the Petroleum Shrine Club.
This Week in Condorstown:
Monday, Jan 19: The "Voice of the Condors," Kevin Bartl, will appear on "There It Is! The Jake Stevens Show" at 6:40 p.m. on ESPN Radio 1230. Bartl joins the show live every Monday to discuss everything Condors hockey. "There It Is!" airs at its new time from 6 to 7 p.m., Monday - Friday.
Tuesday, Jan 27: Condors F Andrew Ianiero will meet with the children of Canyon Hills Preschool starting at 3 p.m., to teach them about safety by showing them protective hockey gear and even letting a few lucky kids try on Condors equipment. Canyon Hills is located at 7001 Auburn Street.
Tuesday, Jan 27: The Condors will hold a Media Roundtable at Tailgaters Sports Grill from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Condors speakers will include Head Coach Marty Raymond, All-Star Mark Derlago and President Matthew Riley. Tailgaters is located at 900 Truxtun Ave #110. The roundtable is exclusive to members of the media who should RSVP to 324-PUCK (7825).
Thursday, Jan. 29: A Condors front office staff member will serve as a guest judge along with Condors mascot Baby Cal at the Christa McAuliffe School Science Fair, held from 9 to 11 a.m., located at 8900 Westwold Street.
Thursday, Jan. 29: Condors Mascot Colonel Claw'd will join the students at Roosevelt Elementary School, located at 2324 Verde Street at 1:30 p.m. for a special assembly rewarding students who met their scholastic goals with tickets to a Condors game through the T.H.I.N.K. program.
Thursday, Jan. 29: The Condors Coach's Show will air on ESPN Radio 1230 from 5 to 6 p.m. live from the Hungry Hunter at 3580 Rosedale Hwy. The Coach's Show will feature a Condors player and Head Coach Marty Raymond, and is hosted by the "Voice of the Condors," Kevin Bartl. Fans who attend the show are entered in the monthly drawing for a free Condors jersey.
Notes from The Nest: The Condors next home game is Wednesday, Feb. 4 when the Idaho Steelheads come to town. That game will be a High School / College ID Night, sponsored by My 45 and 106.1 KRAB Radio, during which all high school and college students can receive $1 admission by presenting their student ID at the arena box office.
ECHL Stories from January 26, 2009
- Another Fish Story In Canada - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce "More For Your Money Monday - Stockton Thunder
- Condors raise $19,900 in Ducks-style Jersey Auction - Bakersfield Condors
- Off to Vegas for Three-Game Series - Bakersfield Condors
- Off the Hook with the Idaho Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 26 - ECHL
- ECHL This Week January 26th - ECHL
- CCF XVI "Caged Fury" Weigh-Ins and Fight this Week at Qwest Arena - Idaho Steelheads
- Gladiators Weekly January 26th - Atlanta Gladiators
- Blacklick Valley School Sixth Graders to get "First Taste" of National Hockey - Johnstown Chiefs
- Chiefs Weekly Arrowhead - Johnstown Chiefs
- Rays Set to Raise Money for Special Olympics, CMN This Weekend - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bombers Weekly News - Dayton Bombers
- Devils continue hot streak at home, play a pair in Elmira this weekend - Trenton Devils
- Grizzlies Head For Phoenix Friday; Home February 4 - Utah Grizzlies
- Reading Royals Weekly - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Make It Six Straight Wins - Cincinnati Cyclones
- 2-For-1 Tuesday Tomorrow Night - Dayton Bombers
- Blades hit the road again this week still holding the best record in the ECHL - Florida Everblades
- Monday Night Hockey Resumes at Jim N Nicks Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.