- He's Our MANN -
The Condors hunt for a bench boss is over. On June 21, Condors GM John Olver officially announced Troy Mann as the fifth head coach in team history.
The 43-year old spent the past four seasons in the American Hockey League (AHL) as an assistant coach with the highly successful Hershey Bears. With Hershey, Troy captured the 2010 Calder Cup as the Bears set the AHL record for wins in a season with 60.
He has two years worth of head coaching experience at the ECHL level with the Columbia Inferno as well. His best season came in 2007-08 when he led the sixth-seeded Inferno through fourth-seeded Florida and then past the 52-game winning Texas Wildcatters before being eliminated in the conference semi-finals by South Carolina.
Mann played 10 seasons professionally and is not a stranger to Condorstown with a brief stint as a Condor in 2000-01.
Troy and his wife Lori have a six-year old daughter, Larissa.
- We GUARANTEE the Playoffs or your Tickets are FREE -
We GUARANTEE that we will make the Kelly Cup Playoffs in 2014 or you will receive FREE tickets next year!!! By purchasing a Condors Pick-6 Plan or larger, you will receive six free tickets for 2014-15 if we do not make the playoffs. But, we're going to because it will be the best season ever. Pick-6 Plans start for less than $8/month.
- Condors Organization Prime for ECHL League Meetings-
The 2013 ECHL Sales and Marketing Meetings are underway in Las Vegas. For one week, staff members of all 22 teams come together to share ideas, gain valuable training, and recognize those who have excelled over the past calendar year. Condors President Matthew Riley is already at the meetings, taking part in the executive committee meetings for the league.
On Thursday, the Condors will be in the running for some league-wide awards. As a staff, the organization is once again a finalist for the ECHL Award of Excellence for Marketing. Individually, Condors Vice President of Communications Kevin Bartl and Manager of Media Relations/Broadcasting Ryan Holt are finalists for the Public Relations Director(s) of the Year award.
Also attending the meetings this week from the team are Director of Group Sales Brad Urbani, account executives DJ French, Andrew Boydston, Wendy Carpio, and Kyle Bennett, and creative services manager Ashleigh Cox.
- Save the (36) Dates!-
The 2013-14 schedule has been released and we're rapidly approaching Opening Night on Friday, Oct. 18 against the Colorado Eagles. Bakersfield plays 36 games at home, with 30 of those games falling on weekends and holidays. Teddy Bear Toss makes its return on Saturday, Nov. 30 against Stockton. Field Trip Day is back on Thursday, Nov. 14 at 10:30 a.m. when thousands of students will enjoy an educational day while screaming loud for their Condors.
- Condors Cave: The Perfect Spot to Entertain at Condors Games -
The Condors Cave makes its debut for the 2013-14 season. The suite is perfect for a group of friends looking to jump right into the Condors offensive attack! There are couches, table seating, and standing room along with a television and catering available. Add in the great view from down along the ice and you will have quite the Condors experience.
With the schedule now out, ask about reserving The Cave for your next event by calling 324-PUCK (7825)
- Condors President Matthew Riley a Finalist for Best Sports Boss -
We know that our president, Matthew Riley, is the best boss in all of sports, but it is time to let the rest of the world know that. @PrezRiles, as he is known on Twitter, is a finalist in the TeamWork Online Best Boss competition. He's up against some very tough competitors, including bosses from the San Diego Padres and the Arizona Diamondbacks. This is the final week to vote, so get to clickin'!
- Front Office Changes: Fahzy's Back and he has a new daughter! - Justin Fahsbender has returned to the Condors front office after a year in Houston, working for the NBA's Houston Rockets. Fahzy and his wife Leina, welcomed their second child (and first girl) into the world over the weekend, Atta Kay. Fahzy will be the Condors VP of Operations once again.
Finance Manager Erica Cardell has moved on after three seasons in the front office. She has moved north with her family to Eureka, Calif. "It's the hardest, but most rewarding job I've had," she said of her time in Condorstown. Best of luck!
Taking Erica's place is Marcus Jennings, formerly an accounting assistant with Brown Armstrong. Marcus played basketball in college and is quickly learning the fast-paced nature of the Condors front office..."It's like the SATs. You don't know what's going to be on it, but you know it will be hard."
Also joining the staff is Account Executive Kyle Bennett who came on board during last season as an inside sales representative and now in his current account executive position. Kyle graduated from CSUB in 2012 and is an avid San Jose Sharks fan.
- ECHL UPDATE: Coaching Changes Dominate Off-Season-
Condorstown is not the only team undergoing hockey operations changes. At least five other teams will see a new bench boss this season, including two Condors rivals.
Las Vegas elevated Mike Madill from team captain to head coach following the non-renewal of Ryan Mougenel.
Stockton is still in search of a head coach after the departure of Matt Thomas, who left to be the head coach at the University of Alaska-Anchorage.
Evansville, Fort Wayne, and Orlando, three ECHL expansion teams last season all replaced their head coaches this year with the hiring of Jeff Pyle, Gary Graham and Vince Williams respectively.
- Condors Droppings: The Stuff you Should Know -
It is nearly impossible to fit everything in a newsletter. There's stuff left on our "Cutting Room Floor" that you should check out:
- The Stanley Cup Final is over. Congrats to the Chicago Blackhawks. Only 115 more days until Condors hockey returns.
- There is a new American Hockey League (AHL) team in Utica owned by the NHL's Vancouver Canucks. But, in bigger news, NBC's Pro Hockey Talk seems to think that the Canucks want to put their AHL team in Bakersfield - read here.
- Former Condor Dan Sexton and the Syracuse Crunch fell shy of the 2013 Calder Cup, losing in game six to the Grand Rapids Griffins.
- Former broadcaster Bob Mills and former front office manager Bethany Moore were married recently in Bakersfield. In attendance at the wedding were members of the Condors staff past and present and they were married by Mike Hart! Congrats!
That's all for now. If you followed us on Twitter (@Condors) you would have known most of this stuff already.
- They Say It's Your Birthday -
Recent and upcoming Condorstown birthdays:
June 2 - Director, Corporate Partnerships Greg Lowe, 31
VP, Operations Justin Fahsbender, 32
June 7 - Account executive Kyle Bennett, 28
June 14 - 2012-13 Condor, Brett Perlini, 23
June 21 - Finance Manager Marcus Jennings, 31
June 22 - 2012-13 Condor, Jake Morley, 25
July 5 - Frmr. office manager Bethany Mills (Moore), 26
ECHL Stories from June 25, 2013
- Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley Moves On - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors in the Community Update - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Newsletter - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Represented By Stanley Cup Champions - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.