Condors Fighting Cancer Hockey-Thon begins this Friday
The 5th Annual Condors Fighting Cancer Hockey-Thon, a hockey marathon to raise awareness and funds for the fight against breast cancer, kicks off in only five days. The Hockey-Thon is comprised of a 41-hour hockey marathon for participants of all ages and skill levels, which includes two Condors games (Feb. 21 and 22) and is highlighted with a Condors Alumni vs. West Coast All-Star Alumni Game, in which the former Condors will be wearing specially-designed pink breast cancer awareness jerseys that will be auctioned off following their game. The West Coast Alumni team will feature former players from the San Diego Gulls, Long Beach Ice Dogs and Fresno Falcons.
The Hockey-Thon was created by Condors Legend Kevin Barrett, shortly after losing his mother to breast cancer. Sponsored by KBAK-29, KUZZ 107.9, the Bakersfield Californian and 3Way Chevrolet, proceeds from the event benefit Links for Life, as they continue to provide a myriad of resources from support groups and wigs to mammograms and scholarships for local women affected by breast cancer. Over the past four years the Hockey-Thon has raised over $162,000!
The event begins Friday, Feb. 20 at 11:59 p.m. at the Bakersfield Ice Sports Center, behind Rabobank Arena. Throughout the night, Hockey-Thon participants will take part in organized hockey games, playing other teams and players at their own skill level. For more information or to play in the Hockey-Thon click here.
This Week in Condorstown:
Wednesday, Feb. 18: Condors mascot Colonel Claw'd will serve as a celebrity reader at Lakeside Elementary School, located at 14535 Old River Road from 8:45 to 9:45 a.m. The Colonel will act out scenes from a children's book while the story is read aloud.
Thursday, Feb 19: Tune in to KUZZ 107.9 at 8 a.m. to catch Condors Community Relations Manager Brian Marsh along with representatives from Links for Life and the Bakersfield Ice Sports Center discuss the upcoming Hockey-Thon.
Thursday, Feb 19: Condors F Liam Huculak and D Jay Langager will meet with and read to the students at Owens Valley Career Development Center located at 1001 Tower Way Suite 225, starting at 10 a.m.
Friday, Feb. 20: Turn on your TV to Fox 58 at 7:10 a.m. to catch Condors Captain Jay Langager, as he discusses the Veggie Tales and David Carr's visit to Condorstown, as well as the team's recent success and push for the playoffs.
Saturday, Feb. 21: The Condors welcome David Carr and the Veggie Tales to The Nest, as they host the Victoria Salmon Kings, sponsored by Pirate 93.1 and DMW Industries Inc. Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber will be on hand to meet fans and pose for photos during the game. Afterwards, NFL quarterback and Bakersfield native David Carr will give a motivational speech on a variety of topics including the role of his faith in his rise to success. Doors open at 11 a.m., puck drops at noon.
Sunday, Feb. 22: The Hockey-Thon Alumni Game will take place between the Condors Alumni and the West Coast Alumni. Come see all your favorite Condors players from years past including Paul Rosebush, Paul Willett, Scott Hay, Mike Hofstrand, Jamie Cooke, Quinn Fair and others as they take on their old nemeses from Fresno, San Diego and Long Beach. Fans receive entrance to the Alumni Game by presenting their ticket for that afternoon's home game against Victoria. For the Alumni Game, doors open at 11:45 a.m., puck drops at noon.
Sunday, Feb. 22: The Condors wrap up the Hockey-Thon with a 2 p.m. game against the Victoria Salmon Kings, sponsored by KBAK-29, KUZZ 107.9 and the Bakersfield Californian. All fans in attendance will receive a cheer sign and are welcome to take the ice immediately following the game for a special skate with the team (limited skate rental available for $5). Also during the game you can bid on the pink jerseys worn during the Alumni Game and other great items all benefiting Links for Life.
Mark Your Calendar: Tickets for the 9th annual Tip-A-Condor are on sale now. The March 10 charity dinner at the Crystal Palace will feature dinner and drinks served by the Condors players, on stage singing and dancing, also by the Condors, as well as live and silent auctions. Proceeds benefit the Kern County Shrine Club. Tickets are $25 for adults and $15 for children (12-and-under), and can be purchased at the Crystal Palace Box Office, Condors Front Office and at all the Condors home games.
Get Tickets: Individual game tickets are on sale and may be purchased through the Rabobank Arena Box Office, which is open from 10am - 6pm Monday through Friday and 10am - 4pm on Saturday. The Arena Box Office will also be open on Sunday, starting at 10 am till midway through the second period.. Tickets may also be purchased by phone through at 322-2525, online at www.bakersfieldcondors.com, or at any Ticketmaster location.
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2009
- RoadRunners Finally Beat Wranglers In Vegas 2-1 - Phoenix RoadRunners
- RoadRunners Edge Wranglers 2-1 - Las Vegas Heads to Idaho This Wednesday at 6:10 PM - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Reading Royals Weekly - Reading Royals
- Condors Fighting Cancer Hockey-Thon begins this Friday - Bakersfield Condors
- Pink in the Rink Less than Two Weeks Away - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - February 16th - ECHL
- Utah's May Is 10th Player With Nine-Game Goal Streak - ECHL
- Elmira's Betts Suspended One Game - ECHL
- Weekly Arrowhead - Johnstown Chiefs
- Elmira's Lutz Fined - ECHL
- Jackals Game Change, Ice Racing This Weekend - Elmira Jackals
- Devils win Three out of Four to get within a Point of Final Playoff Spot - Trenton Devils
- Bombers Weekly News - Dayton Bombers
- Sea Wolves Weekly - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Charlotte Metro Hockey Association Launched - Charlotte Checkers
- Cyclones Kick Off Six Game Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Off The Hook: Steelheads Update - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Stay In First Place Race, Visit Utah - Stockton Thunder
- Phoenix Concludes Season-High Eight-Game Road Trip This Week - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Eveblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Home Four Of The Next Six Nights - Utah Grizzlies
- Check Out the Bombers' "Carload Wednesday" This Week - Dayton Bombers
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Salmon Kings' Second Period Slide Leads To Loss - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Aces Take Three of Four from Victoria - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.