Condors Back in Second Place after Weekend Sweep
Friday, February 21
Condors roll over Long Beach
The Condors scored four times in the third period to thrust past the Ice Dogs on Friday night. They led 2-1 after 40 minutes, behind tallies by Paul Rosebush and Shawn Byram. In the final stanza, however, Bakersfield put up 16 shots and received two goals from Jason Ralph, including his league-leading fifth shorthanded goal of the season, another from Byram and one from Jeff Goldie. Kevin St. Pierre stopped 25 of 27 shots for his 27th win of the campaign. A crowd of over 7,500 fans packed Centennial Garden, and was entertained by SpongeBob Squarepants and Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius, two stars with their own cartoons on Nickelodeon. It was the second largest crowd of the season for Bakersfield, and ranked in the top 10 in franchise history.
Friday, February 22
Beau backstops beating of Ice Dogs
Bakersfield hosted the second of this two-game set with Long Beach on Saturday night, and gave rookie netminder Beau Fritz his first professional start. The Longmont, Colorado native withstood an early barrage of shots and kept the Ice Dogs off the board through more than two periods. Meanwhile, Nate Anderson and Quinn Fair both tallied in the middle frame to give Bakersfield the lead. As with the previous night, the Condors put it out of reach in the third, with three more goals from J.J. Wrobel, Guy Dupuis and Paul Rosebush. Fritz played a great game between the pipes, turning aside 33 of 35 shots for his first career victory. The Condors recorded 45 shots on Ice Dogs netminder Danielle Dube.
Sunday, February 23
Condors back in second place with big win
Sundays match in San Diego represented an opportunity for Bakersfield to move back into a tie for second place with a win, but they fell behind early in the first, as Mark Pederson tallied for San Diego less than seven minutes in. Late in the first, Jeff Goldie and Nate Anderson both redirected shots past Gulls goalie Cris Classen in a span of 36 seconds to lead after one period. The rest of the game belonged to Jamie Cooke. He notched three goals in the second period and one in the third as Bakersfield cruised to a 6-2 win. Paul Willett assisted on each of Cookes goals, while defenseman Guy Dupuis put up three assists. Kevin St. Pierre stopped 33 shots in setting a new franchise mark for wins in a season, collecting his 28th of the year.
Bakersfield takes to the road for all three games theyll play this week, starting in Long Beach on Wednesday night at 7:00pm. The Condors have a record of 8-2-1 against Long Beach, including a 3-1 record at the Long Beach Arena. They have taken five straight wins in the season series by a combined score of 28-9. The Condors Coachs Show will take place on this night, as Thursday is a travel day for the team. It will air from Long Beach at 6:00pm as part of an extended Condors Countdown.
They will then head to Anchorage for a pair with the Aces on Friday and Saturday night, both 8:00pm starts (PST). Bakersfield has a record of 3-3-4 in the series. All games, home and away, can be heard live on KGEO AM 1230, with Condors Countdown starting 15 minutes prior to game time. Condors Broadcaster Kevin Bartl handles the play-by-play.
Bakersfield returns home for Student I.D. Night/Mardi Gras celebration on Tuesday, March 4th against the Fresno Falcons. WB 12 and KISS 96.5 present the last Student I.D. Night of the season, which allows all college and high school students to purchase lower level seats for just $1. The first 1,000 fans will also receive a set of Mardi Gras beads, sponsored by FOX 98.5 and Prime Cut.
Individual tickets can be purchased at the Centennial Garden Box Office, by calling Ticketmaster at 322-2525, online at ticketmaster.com or stopping by any Ticketmaster location. Season and group tickets may be purchased by calling 324-PUCK (7825) or by visiting the Condors office next to Centennial Garden.
· Jamie Cookes performance on Sunday was the first four-goal effort from a Condor since Paul Willett on Halloween, 1999.
· Jason Ralph recorded back-to-back three point games on Friday and Saturday.
· Nate Anderson has a point in four straight games, and six of the last seven games. He is third in points among WCHL rookies.
· Prior to this season, Bakersfield had won in San Diego just four times in the history of the franchise. They will finish this season with a 4-3 record at the San Diego Sports Arena.
· Bakersfield has put up at least 40 shots in three straight games and five of the past six.
· The Condors are ranked #12 on the inthecrease.com National AA Internet poll.
Quotes of the Week
It was a good night to have a good night Condors winger Jamie Cooke, on scoring four goals in a 6-2 win on Sunday against the Gulls to put Bakersfield back into second place.
Id say, about the first 10 minutes, my legs were a little shaky. Condors goaltender Beau Fritz, who made his first pro start on Saturday night, a 5-2 win over Long Beach.
ECHL Stories from February 24, 2003
- Condors Head to Shafter, Judge Father - Son Cub Scout Cook-off - Bakersfield Condors
- Greensboro Generals Intelligence Report - Greensboro Generals
- Condors Back in Second Place after Weekend Sweep - Bakersfield Condors
- Florio Injects New Life - Alaska Aces
- K-Wings Week In Review - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Weekly - Idaho Steelheads
- Ice Pilots Acquire Veteran Center Marquis Mathieu - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- 'Gades Home Win Streak Now Four - Richmond Renegades
- Royals End Big Week on High Note - Reading Royals
- Kingfish acquire Hewson and Renzi - Baton Rouge Kingfish
- Chiefs Weekly - Johnstown Chiefs
- O'Connell Steps Down - South Carolina Stingrays
- Storm Tracks - Toledo Walleye
- Stanley Cup Tickets Selling Well - Wheeling Nailers
- Men O War Finish Week 2-1-0 to Tie Cyclones for Third in Division - Burlington
- Komets Top UHL with 75 Points after 20 Weeks - Fort Wayne Komets
- Royals Trade in as Celebrity Waiters - Reading Royals
- Picking up the points - Baton Rouge Kingfish
- Bombers Continue Commuter Road Trip, Aim to Pack the House - Dayton Bombers
- Chat with Bendera and Slukynsky at 'SCOR' Tonight - Dayton Bombers
- Three-Game Win Streak Highlights Past Week - Utah Grizzlies
- Stingrays Finish Week 2-0-1, Grab Third Place - South Carolina Stingrays
- Red-Hot Blades Pick up Three Wins - Florida Everblades
- RiverBlades Post Unbeaten Week - Arkansas RiverBlades
- Ice Pilots Can Clinch Playoff Spot This Week - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Bandits Look Ahead to Six-Point Week - Jackson Bandits
- Mississippi Moves Back into Tie for First Place - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Express weekly - Roanoke Express
- RiverBlades Host College Night - Arkansas RiverBlades
- Augusta Lynx Update - Augusta Lynx
- Titans Hit Stretch Run With Four Divisional Games - Trenton Devils
- Nailers Week in Review - Wheeling Nailers
- Pee Dee Pride Weekly - Myrtle Beach Thunderboltz
- Fish knock off Blades, 4-3 - Baton Rouge Kingfish
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.