Comets Dominate Bruins Early, Win 5-2
Providence, RI - The Utica Comets continued to roll with a 5-2 win on Sunday afternoon against the Providence Bruins at the Dunkin' Donuts Center.
Jake Virtanen tallied the first goal of the game with a solo rush into the offensive zone at 7:58. The forward skated around Tommy Cross and fired a wrist shot over the glove of Zane McIntyre for his seventh of the year. At 11:51, Alexandre Grenier pulled a backhand shot around McIntyre for his 17th of the year to give the Comets a 2-0 lead. Chad Billins registered the lone assist on both goals.
Michael Carcone extended the lead with his third of the year at 10:15 of the second period with a wrist shot in the slot. Pascal Pelletier and Mike Zalewski assisted on the goal. The onslaught continued with a goal from Curtis Valk at 15:49 on a loose puck near the post. His 16th of the year was assisted by Carcone and Zalewski.
The Bruins responded early in the third period with a goal at 4:16 from Austin Czarnik. His third of the year was assisted by Matt Grzelcyk and Jake DeBrusk. Chris Porter added another goal by sending a rebound behind Thatcher Demko for his fifth of the year at 7:55. The goal was assisted by DeBrusk and Chris Casto to cut the Comets lead in half. McIntyre was pulled for the extra attacker in the final minutes and the Bruins continued a heavy offensive attack in efforts to tie the game. However, Cody Kunyk finished the scoring by finding the open net with assists from Grenier and Tom Nilsson.
Demko improved his record to 18-12-4 with 28 saves. McIntyre suffered his fourth loss of the season and now holds a record of 16-4-3 with 23 saves in the game.
The Comets play their third consecutive road game next Friday in Albany against the Devils at 7 p.m. at the Times Union Center. The game can be heard live on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL Live.
For the latest Comets news visit www.uticacomets.com or follow the team on Facebook (www.facebook.com/uticacomets), Twitter (@UticaComets), Instagram (@UticaComets), Snapchat (@UticaComets) and the Comets YouTube Channel.
American Hockey League Stories from March 19, 2017
- Admirals Score Four in Second Period, Top Griffins 6-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Second Period Propels Admirals to Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Flames Sign Prospects Ryan Lomberg And Tyler Parsons to Entry Level Contracts - Stockton Heat
- P-Bruins Third Period Rally Falls Short in 5-2 Loss - Providence Bruins
- Sound Tigers Strike First But Fall to Hershey 3-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Dominate Bruins Early, Win 5-2 - Utica Comets
- Rampage Reassign Defenseman Justin Hamonic to Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Coyotes Recall Michalek and Dauphin from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch Release Daniel Doremus from PTO - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Nosek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Byron Froese, Joel Vermin to Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Condors Sweep Tucson with 4-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins Edge Wolves in Overtime, 3-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Rockford 3 at Manitoba 5 - Manitoba Moose
- Connor, Moose Cruise by Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls Rally to 4-3 Shootout Victory over Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Skin Wolves Again in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Fall to Wild in Iowa - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.