Chivas USA Weekly Update
CHIVAS USA ROUNDS OUT ITS JANUARY TRAINING CALENDAR WITH TWO SCRIMMAGES
As part of its preseason training for the month of January, Chivas USA has scheduled two scrimmages against local competition. The Rojiblancos will conduct their first scrimmage of preseason camp on Saturday, Jan. 26, against UC Irvine at The Home Depot Center's Field 6 at 10 a.m. The Goats will then face SC Storm the following Wednesday at 11 a.m. on Field 6.
ROJIBLANCOS TRAVEL TO LAS VEGAS FOR FEBRUARY SCRIMMAGE
The Red-and-White will travel to the city of Las Vegas to face the Colorado Rapids in a preseason match on Friday, Feb. 15, in the 2013 Las Vegas ProSoccer Challenge, the first annual event hosted by USA Sevens LLC and the City of Las Vegas. The game will take place at Sam Boyd Stadium on the campus of UNLV.
GOATS NOTES AND FACTS
Agudelo and USMNT Set to Face Canada in First Friendly of the Year
Forward Juan Agudelo continues to participate in the U.S. Men's National Team January Training Camp. The 25-man roster selected by Head Coach Jurgen Klinsmann began its camp on Jan. 7 at the National Training Center in Carson, Calif. and will train together until Jan. 27 in preparation for the first match of the 2013 campaign against Canada on Jan. 29 at BBVA Compass Stadium. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. PT and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN2 and WatchESPN.
First Kick 2013 Set for March 2 at The HDC
Chivas USA will kick off its ninth season when it hosts the Columbus Crew at The Home Depot Center for First Kick 2013 on Saturday, March 2, beginning at 7:30 p.m. PT. Because of the same unbalanced schedule format the MLS used during the 2012 season, this will be the only meeting between the two sides in 2013.
Chivas USA Acquires Midfielder and SoCal native Eric Avila
Chivas USA today acquired Mexican-American midfielder Eric Avila in a trade with the Colorado Rapids in exchange for midfielder Nick LaBrocca. The San Diego native has been in the league since 2008 and set career-highs last season in games played, games started, minutes and assists.
Rojiblancos Select California Trio in MLS Supplemental Draft
Chivas USA selected three players in today's MLS Supplemental Draft. The Rojiblancos drafted three California natives, beginning with UC Riverside defender Jose Diaz with the second-overall pick in the first round and forward Paul Islas from Fresno Pacific University No. 19 in the same round. The Goats used their third pick on defender Joe Franco out of Cal State Northridge in the second round (No. 21).
Chivas USA Selects East L.A. Product Carlos Alvarez in SuperDraft
Chivas USA selected University of Connecticut midfielder Carlos Alvarez with the second-overall pick in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft held last Thursday in Indianapolis. The 22-year-old Mexican-American from East Los Angeles started 21 games last season for the Huskies, recording seven goals and nine assists in his senior year. The 5-foot-10 Alvarez was named Big East Conference Midfielder of the Year while earning All-Big East First Team honors.
EYE ON YOUTH ACADEMY
Youth Academy Update
Chivas USA's U-11 academy squad defeated Real SoCal, 3-2, in the Copa Real championship.
Chivas USA Youth Academy Tryouts
Chivas USA will hold three tryouts for its new U-14 squad that will begin competing in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy in September. The camps are scheduled for Jan. 28, Feb. 25 and April 22, and are for categories 1999 and 2000.
2013 TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE
Tickets for the 2013 season are now available, with packages as low as $10 per ticket.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 22, 2013
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Select Three Players in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - Chicago Fire
- Pat Noonan looking forward to the next step of his career as a Galaxy assistant coach - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA selects three California products in MLS Supplemental Draft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Rapids Trade for Rights to Nick LaBrocca - Colorado Rapids
- Chivas USA acquires midfielder Eric Avila - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United selects UCLA midfielder Evan Raynr in the second round of the 2013 MLS Supplemental Draf - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Select Six Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - MLS
- Sounders FC Selects Five Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Select Two Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Selects Four Players in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - Toronto FC
- Kickoff Time Changes for Three Home Games - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revs select four in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - New England Revolution
- Nguyen Healthy, Eager Upon Return From Shoulder Surgery - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC selects four in Supplemental Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy select midfielder Andy Riemer in first round of the MLS Supplemental Draft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Select Six Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - New York Red Bulls
- Crew Selects Three in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - Columbus Crew SC
- 67 Players Selected in 2013 Supplemental Draft - MLS
- Colorado Rapids select four players in MLS Supplemental Draft - Colorado Rapids
- Impact Adds Four Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - Montreal Impact
- San Jose Earthquakes Select Three in MLS Supplemental Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Selects Two Players in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - Real Salt Lake
- Dynamo select three players in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - Houston Dynamo
- FC Dallas selects four in MLS Supplemental Draft - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Foundation To Hold 15th Annual Season Kickoff Luncheon on Tuesday, March 5 - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC Add Pat Onstad to Staff - Toronto FC
- D.C. United, Assistant Coach Pat Onstad mutually agree to part ways - D.C. United
- Crew Signs Brazilian Defender Gláuber - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.