Chivas USA Signs Defenders Steve Purdy and Carlos Borja
CARSON, Calif. (Thursday, February 14, 2013) - Chivas USA announced today that the club has signed defenders Steve Purdy and Carlos Borja. Per league and club policy, terms of the contracts were not disclosed.
Purdy, a 28-year-old Salvadoran-American, joins the Red-and-White after playing the last two seasons with the Portland Timbers. The 6-foot-4 center back made 11 starts for Portland and has been called in for international duty for both the U.S. and El Salvador.
"I think we are bringing a different style to Chivas USA, a lot of Latin-American characteristics and I feel that, because of my size, I can bring a little something different to the team," said Purdy. "It's good to have a balance of different things on a club and I think I can complement the rest of the players.
"I'm very excited to play for [Head Coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola] 'El Chelis.' He's a very outspoken coach with a lot of passion, and that is something that I always love as a player," he concluded.
Borja, a 25-year-old Mexican-American and Southern California product, returns to Chivas USA for his third stint with the club after playing last season with USL side the L.A. Blues. Borja was part of Chivas USA's youth academy and also played for Chivas Guadalajara's second division squad.
"This is the club that gave me my first chance professionally," said Borja. "I started my career here, and it's always good to come back to a team with open arms and to a coach and staff that accepts you. I've been a part of Chivas in Mexico too, so I know the tradition, I know what it means to play for this club."
The club also announced that it has declined to pick up the contract options of Paolo Cardozo, Ryan Smith and John Valencia, and waived Cesar Romero.
Chivas USA will kick off its ninth season when it hosts the Columbus Crew at The Home Depot Center as part of MLS' March to Soccer on Saturday, March 2, beginning at 7:30 p.m. (PT). Ticket packs and individual tickets are now available. For more information please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com . Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa .
Major League Soccer Stories from February 14, 2013
- Chivas USA Arrives in Las Vegas for Preseason Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Superior Smarts Helping Caldwell Adapt to MLS - New England Revolution
- Past Experience with the Galaxy Brings Andy Riemer to the Club - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Defender Steven Beitashour Undergoes Sports Hernia Procedure - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA Signs Defenders Steve Purdy and Carlos Borja - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Impact Faces the Philadelphia Union Friday in Jacksonville - Montreal Impact
- LA Galaxy Foundation Launches Fifth Annual Reading Garden Challenge - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Trades Defender James Riley - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United Acquires James Riley from Chivas USA - D.C. United
- Red Bulls and MSG Networks Release 2013 Television Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Single-Game Tickets Go On Sale February 18 - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Sign Houston Native Bryan Salazar to Homegrown Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Single-Game Tickets Go on Sale Saturday - New England Revolution
- Register to Run the 2013 Bank of America Chicago Marathon on Behalf of the Chicago Fire Foundation - Chicago Fire
- DDC Opener Turns Physical; Tierney Injured - New England Revolution
- Revs Blanked - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Beat UCLA 7-2 in Preseason Exhibition - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Jack McBean and Charlie Rugg Shine in Galaxy's Preseason Win over UCLA - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.