Chivas USA selects three California products in MLS Supplemental Draft
CARSON, Calif. (Tuesday, January 22, 2013) - Chivas USA selected three players in today's MLS Supplemental Draft, the club announced. The Rojiblancos drafted three California natives, beginning with UC Riverside defender Jose Diaz with the second-overall pick in the first round and forward Paul Islas from Fresno Pacific University No. 19 in the same round. The Goats used their third pick on defender Joe Franco out of Cal State Northridge in the second round (No. 21).
Diaz, a 6-foot-3 Corona native, made 13 starts in 14 appearances last season for the Highlanders, recording three goals and an assist, earning the 21-year-old senior All-Big West Conference honors. In 2011 Diaz was named an All-Big West Honorable Mention and finished the season tied for third on the team in goals scored.
Islas, a native of Fresno, had a team-high 22 goals for the Sunbirds and was third on the squad with 12 assists during his senior year. Islas played in 19 games (18 starts), averaging over a goal per game while being named a NSCAA NCAA Division II All-American, NSCAA First Team All-West Region and NCCAA West Region Player of the Year.
Franco, 22, spent all four years at CSUN (2009-2012) after redshirting the 2008 season. The Monrovia native started 21 games last season and earned Big West Defender of the Year, All-Big West First Team and NSCAA All-Far West Region Second Team honors in his final season with the Matadors.
Chivas USA will kick off its ninth season when it hosts the Columbus Crew at The Home Depot Center for First Kick 2013 on Saturday, March 2, beginning at 7:30 p.m. PT. Ticket packs are available for as little as $10 per ticket and include extra bonuses. For more information please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com. Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 22, 2013
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Select Three Players in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - Chicago Fire
- Pat Noonan looking forward to the next step of his career as a Galaxy assistant coach - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA selects three California products in MLS Supplemental Draft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Rapids Trade for Rights to Nick LaBrocca - Colorado Rapids
- Chivas USA acquires midfielder Eric Avila - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United selects UCLA midfielder Evan Raynr in the second round of the 2013 MLS Supplemental Draf - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Select Six Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - MLS
- Sounders FC Selects Five Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Select Two Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Selects Four Players in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - Toronto FC
- Kickoff Time Changes for Three Home Games - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revs select four in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - New England Revolution
- Nguyen Healthy, Eager Upon Return From Shoulder Surgery - New England Revolution
- Sporting KC selects four in Supplemental Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy select midfielder Andy Riemer in first round of the MLS Supplemental Draft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Select Six Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - New York Red Bulls
- Crew Selects Three in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - Columbus Crew SC
- 67 Players Selected in 2013 Supplemental Draft - MLS
- Colorado Rapids select four players in MLS Supplemental Draft - Colorado Rapids
- Impact Adds Four Players in MLS Supplemental Draft - Montreal Impact
- San Jose Earthquakes Select Three in MLS Supplemental Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Selects Two Players in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - Real Salt Lake
- Dynamo select three players in 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft - Houston Dynamo
- FC Dallas selects four in MLS Supplemental Draft - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Foundation To Hold 15th Annual Season Kickoff Luncheon on Tuesday, March 5 - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC Add Pat Onstad to Staff - Toronto FC
- D.C. United, Assistant Coach Pat Onstad mutually agree to part ways - D.C. United
- Crew Signs Brazilian Defender Gláuber - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.