February 9, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
CARSON, Calif. - Chivas USA defeated Korean League side Gangwon FC, 7-3, today in its fourth preseason match at The Home Depot Center's Track and Field Stadium. After falling behind by three, the Rojiblancos stormed back to score seven unanswered goals, led by Miller Bolaños, Jose Correa and Tristan Bowen, who knocked in two goals apiece. Julio Morales chipped in with a goal of his own in the rout. The match was also highlighted by the preseason debut of goalkeeper Dan Kennedy who played the entire final period.
- Chivas USA and Gangwon FC agreed to play four 35-minute periods, with a 10-minute break in between each period.
- The visiting K-League side got off to a 3-0 start, with goals from Ianis Zicu and Jin-Ryong Kim in the 10th and 19th minute, respectively. Zicu was assisted by Chang-Yong Lee when the Romanian made his run inside the 18-yard line for the game's first score. Zicu then recorded an assist when he sent a long ball over the top which Kim was able to control and put past Red-and-White goalkeeper Tim Melia. In the 39th minute Eun-Joong Kim worked the ball near the right post and found the left side net to widen the lead in the second period.
- The Rojiblancos got on the board two minutes later on Bolaños' first goal of the match. Giovani Casillas won a battle for ball possession near the left sideline and got around a Gangwon defender inside the left side of the box and crossed a pass to an unmarked Bolaños who headed the pass in. In the 56th minute, Bolaños crossed a pass from the left side of the box to a cutting Bowen near the short area for the tap-in and to draw the Rebaño Angelino closer, 3-2.
- In the 68th minute, Bolaños and Bowen combined to break up a Gangwon pass for a turnover. Bolaños took possession and advanced the ball 30 yards toward the goal and beat goalkeeper Ho-Jin Park on a two-on-two breakaway unassisted, giving the Ecuadorian forward a team-high five goals this preseason and tying the match at three.
- The Red-and-White took the lead in the 71st minute and would not relinquish it. James Riley worked the ball from the right side of the box near the right post and found a cutting Bowen for his second score of the match and third of the preseason for the 4-3 advantage.
- At the start of the third period Chivas USA Head Coach Jose Luis Sanchez made nine changes to the lineup. In the 94th minute, Jose Manuel Rivera placed a long ball over the top of the Gangwon defense and found Correa inside the box, who beat Park on a one-on-one to extend the lead to 5-3. Correa knocked in his second goal of the match in the 110th minute on the end of a Julio Morales assist. Morales sent a low cross from the left side of the box near the short area where Correa was able to record his fourth preseason goal.
- Chivas USA scored its seventh unanswered goal when Josue Soto combined with Morales in the 127th minute of action. Soto worked the ball inside the left side of the box and placed a pass toward the far post for Morales to put the exclamation point on the 7-3 victory.
Chivas USA will kick off its ninth season when it hosts the Columbus Crew at The Home Depot Center as part of MLS' March to Soccer on Saturday, March 2, beginning at 7:30 p.m. (PT). Ticket packs and individual tickets are now available. For more information please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com . Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa.