April 5, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
CARSON, Calif. (Friday, April 5, 2013) - Led by a Tristan Bowen hat-trick performance Friday morning, Chivas USA defeated Cal FC, 5-1, in its second of two scrimmages this week. The Rojiblancos were also propelled to the dominant win at The Home Depot Center-s Field 4 on goals by Miller BolaÃÂ±os and Giovani Casillas. Cal FC's lone goal came in the final minutes of regulation on a John Caceraes score.
- The Red-and-White got out to an early lead, as BolaÃÂ±os and Laurent Courtois worked a combination play on the left wing that resulted in BolaÃÂ±os beating Cal FC goalkeeper Isiah Castro to his left to take a 1-0 advantage in the seventh minute. The Goats nearly doubled their score in the 12th minute when right back Emilio Orozco sent a pass over the top down the right sideline to forward Julio Morales, who crossed the ball to BolaÃÂ±os inside the box. Starting the match at forward, BolaÃÂ±os got off a clean shot but was denied by Castro.
- Chivas USA Head Coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola "Chelis" made 10 substitutions to start the second half, most of who are regular starters. Of the 11 that started the match, goalkeeper Dan Kennedy, center back Joaquin Velazquez and midfielder Marvin Iraheta were the only players with four appearances or more in the regular season.
- In the 63rd minute, Bowen knocked in his first of three goals when he cashed in a penalty kick awarded to the Goats a minute earlier when midfielder Jorge VillafaÃÂ±a was taken down on the left side of the box with a tackle. Bowen lined up and sent a low shot passed substitute goalkeeper Adrian Topete-s right side to put Chivas USA up 2-0.
- A minute later, Bowen put his side up by three when he led a fast break on the right seam unassisted. As the forward neared the box, Topete came off his line to meet the attack, leaving the net exposed and allowing Bowen to send a chip shot over the keeper for the score.
- In the 75th minute, Casillas worked the ball toward the arc and laid the ball off to Carlos Alvarez inside box. Alvarez, with his back to the goal, turned to his left toward the right post and slotted a pass to the cutting Casillas, who beat Topete with a short tap in to take a commanding 4-0 lead.
- Chivas USA found its fourth second-half goal and went up 5-0 in the 78th minute on Bowen's third goal. Midfielder Eric Avila received the ball on the right wing and made a solo play into the right side of the box and sent a pass to Bowen, who made his cut near the short area for the tap-in score to put the exclamation point on his side's goal performance for the day. Caceraes put his side on the board in the 88th minute with an assist from Osiris Saligan on a set piece for the 5-1 result.
Chivas USA currently sits in second place in the Western Conference and has the weekend off from MLS competition. The Rojiblancos return to league play on April 13 and look to extend their unbeaten streak to five when they host conference rival the Colorado Rapids at The Home Depot Center starting at 7:30 p.m. (PT). The match can be heard in Spanish on W Radio 690 AM. For more information please visit cdchivasusa.com . Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa .