Chivas USA Forward Juan Agudelo Named MLS Player of the Week
CARSON, Calif. (Monday March 25, 2013) - Chivas USA forward Juan Agudelo was voted Major League Soccer Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) for Week 4 of the 2013 MLS Season. Agudelo, with a goal and an assist in Chivas USA-s 4-1 win over the Chicago Fire, received the majority of the votes while competing against nine different MLS players. The Red-and-White won their first road league win in eight months.
Last Sunday, the Goats faced the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park in their first road match of the season. Chivas USA opened the scoring in the 57th minute when midfielder Jorge Villafaña - who came on as a sub to start the second half to make his first appearance of the season - sent a cross from the left into the box. Agudelo gathered the ball and laid off a short pass to Edgar "Chore" Mejia just outside the box. Mejia squared up and unleashed a strike past Chicago keeper Paolo Tornaghi to put the Rojiblancos up 1-0.
In the 75th minute, after Chivas USA broke up a free kick threat deep inside Red-and-White territory, Goats goalkeeper Dan Kennedy quickly sent an outlet pass to Villafaña on the left wing. Villafaña pushed the ball up the field and sent a pass over the top to Agudelo, who made his run with a Chicago defender on him. Agudelo brought the pass down near the arc, created enough space to get off a clean shot and beat Tornaghi to his left to go up 3-1.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by a panel of journalists from NASR. The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media. More information and membership information can be found at soccerreporters.com .
Goal of the Week Nominees
An inspired Mejia participated with his second assist of the season and a goal during the same match. Chivas USA opened the scoring in the 57th minute when midfielder Villafaña - who came on as a sub to start the second half to make his first appearance of the season - sent a cross from the left into the box. Agudelo gathered the ball and laid off a short pass to Mejia just outside the box. Mejia squared up and unleashed a strike past Chicago keeper Paolo Tornaghi to put the Rojiblancos up 1-0.
Chivas USA returns home to face conference opponent Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Saturday, March 30, with a 7:30 p.m. (PT) kickoff time at The Home Depot Center. The game can be heard in Spanish on W Radio 690 AM. . For more information please visit cdchivasusa.com . Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa .
Major League Soccer Stories from March 25, 2013
- LA Galaxy Academy Ready to Win, Not Just Compete at Dallas Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas U-18s Win Three of Four against Mexican Youth Academy Sides - FC Dallas
- Chivas USA Forward Juan Agudelo Named MLS Player of the Week - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Jose Villarreal, Jack McBean's "Fearless" Showings Leave Galaxy Feeling Good - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo Announce Additions to Digital Media Team - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Union Acquire Brazilian Midfielder José Kléberson on Loan, Part Ways with Freddy Adu - Philadelphia Union
- Chivas USA Forward Juan Agudelo Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chicago Fire Welcome Minnesota United FC During Bye Week - Chicago Fire
- Aviza Called into U17 USMNT Camp - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Host Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC Acquires Ryan Richter - Toronto FC
- Philadelphia Union Loan Three Players to USL PRO Affiliate Harrisburg City Islanders - Philadelphia Union
- Galaxy Academy Open Dallas Cup with 2-1 Win - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.