February 12, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
CARSON, Calif. (Tuesday, February 12, 2013) - Chivas USA defeated the L.A. Blues, 3-1, Tuesday morning at The Home Depot Center's Field 6 in its fifth preseason match. The Rojiblancos were led by Miller Bolaños' team-high sixth preseason goal and scores from Jose Manuel Rivera and Marky Delgado to give the Red-and-White their fourth win. After the Goats went up by two scores, the Blues cut the lead in half on a Victor Paredes goal.
- Chivas USA will play its first preseason friendly on the road when it travels to Las Vegas to take on the Colorado Rapids at Sam Boyd Stadium on Friday, Feb. 15, beginning at 7:30 p.m. (PT).
- The Rojiblancos got off to a fast start pushing their numbers into their attacking third, and took a two-goal advantage inside the 10 minute mark. Left back Walter Vilchez served a long ball over the top from midfield into the box to Rivera, who brought down the pass and found a cutting Jose Correa, who was denied by Blues goalkeeper Jose Miranda. Trailing the play, Rivera recovered the rebound and knocked in the shot to give the Red-and-White the advantage in the third minute.
- Chivas USA went up 2-0 in the ninth minute when Correa dropped off a short pass inside the left side of the box to a cutting Bolaños, who beat Miranda to his left inside the right post. The assist was Correa-s second of camp.
- The Red-and-White continued to knock on the door in search of their third score, peppering the Blues "keeper from all sides. Rivera gathered the ball and found open space inside the box in the 29th minute, but his strike traveled wide left of the post. Four minutes later Vilchez worked the ball deep inside the midfield line and threaded a pass to midfielder Carlos Alvarez, whose shot sailed over the crossbar.
- The Blues were able to get on the board in the 58th minute (the clubs agreed to play two 35-minute halves) after being awarded a corner kick. The pass was centered from the left corner toward the far post where Paredes was able to head-in the pass to cut the lead to 2-1.
- In the 65th minute, Bolaños - who moved to the left wing in the second half - worked the ball inside the box toward the left post and unleashed a strike that Miranda could not control inside the short area. Delgado cut into the six-yard box from his right midfield position and won the loose ball battle to record his first preseason goal for the final 3-1 marker.
Chivas USA will kick off its ninth season when it hosts the Columbus Crew at The Home Depot Center as part of MLS' March to Soccer on Saturday, March 2, beginning at 7:30 p.m. (PT). Ticket packs and individual tickets are now available. For more information please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com . Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa .