Chivas USA acquires Brazilian midfielder Marcelo Saragosa in trade with FC Dallas
CARSON, Calif. (Friday, July 17, 2009) - Chivas USA today acquired versatile midfielder Marcelo Saragosa, a six-year MLS veteran and product of the youth system of Brazilian powerhouse São Paulo FC, in a trade with FC Dallas. In exchange, the Red-and-White sent forward Atiba Harris to Dallas.
"Marcelo is a talented and versatile player who gives us several options in midfield," said Chivas USA Head Coach Preki. "He has a lot of experience in both Brazil and MLS, and we look forward to having him in our squad."
"At the same time, we would like to thank Atiba Harris for his contributions to our club during the last two seasons," added Preki. "We wish him the best in this next stage of his career."
Born Jan. 22, 1982 in Campo Grande, Brazil, Marcelo Saragosa joined São Paulo FC at age 13 and played for nine years with the club, where his teammates included Chivas USA midfielder Paulo Nagamura and Brazilian international Kaká. A versatile midfielder who can play both centrally and on the outside of midfield, Saragosa joined MLS with the LA Galaxy in 2004, playing two and-a-half years before a trade sent him to FC Dallas in 2006. Saragosa, who possesses a U.S. green card and thus counts as a domestic' player for MLS roster purposes, has played a total of 94 games (80 starts), in six MLS seasons, registering two goals and six assists.
Atiba Harris, 24, was acquired by Chivas USA ahead of the 2008 MLS season, via a trade with Real Salt Lake. The St. Kitts & Nevis international made 42 appearances with the Red-and-White in one-and-a-half seasons, registering five goals and seven assists.
Chivas USA visits the New England Revolution this Sunday, July 19, at 3:00 p.m. PT (6:00 p.m. ET) in a match to be broadcast live on FS West and W Radio 690 AM, with pregame shows starting at 2:30 p.m. PT. The Red-and-White's next MLS home match is on Aug. 22 against Toronto FC. For more information, or to purchase tickets, please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2009
- Fire Forward Brian McBride Out 3-4 Months Due to Shoulder Sugery - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Begins Three Game Road Swing in New England on Sunday - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Fire to Remain in First as they Face San Jose - Chicago Fire
- Brandon Barklage undergoes successful surgery - D.C. United
- Fire Foward 4-6 Weeks Due to Shoulder Injury - Chicago Fire
- Soccer Fans Encouraged to Plan Ahead for Road Congestion on Saturday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chivas USA acquires Brazilian midfielder Marcelo Saragosa in trade with FC Dallas - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- FC Dallas Acquires Atiba Harris - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview - Real Salt Lake
- United for D.C. teams up with Glory Days Grill - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.