Chiefs Take Series with 5-2 Win Monday
Peoria, IL - The Peoria Chiefs took the three-game series against the Fort Wayne TinCaps, winning 5-2 Monday afternoon in front of 4,029 fans at O'Brien Field. Peoria went 5-5 on their longest home stand of the season and are now 8-10 in the second half.
Fort Wayne got on the board early in the first off Chiefs starter Kevin Hart. Hart was added for the day from Triple-A to stay on his regular five days rest with both Iowa and Chicago in the All-Star breaks. Blake Tekotte began the inning with a single to center field and was out at second after Dan Robertson grounded into a force out. , Robertson stole second as Jeff Decker struck out looking. With one on, Allan Dykstra hit a home run over the right-field wall to give the TinCaps a 2-0 lead.
The Chiefs came back and scored five in the fifth to take the lead against Fort Wayne starter Erik Davis. Kyler Burke began the inning with a walk and advanced to second on a single by Jovan Rosa. Michael Brenly doubled for the 11th time this season to score Burke and advance Rosa to third. Junior Lake hit a bunt-single to load the bases for Nelson Perez. Perez doubled to plate Rosa and Brenly and advance Lake to third to take a one-run lead. With the first out recorded in the inning, David Macias singled to plate Lake and Perez and give the Chiefs a 5-2 lead that they would not relinquish. Closer Chris Huseby came on in the ninth and allowed one hit and struck out the last batter to end the game.
Hart threw four innings, giving up two runs on three hits. The Chicago Cub walked one while striking out three. Jeff Beliveau (4-3) came on in relief and threw four shutout innings, not allowing a hit while walking and striking out four in his fourth win of the season. Huseby came on in the ninth to close out the game. In his tenth save of the season, the right-hander gave up one hit while also striking out one.
Casey's General Store Player of the Game - Michael Brenly (C) - Brenly went 2-for-3 including his 11th double of the season, an RBI and a run scored.
Notes... This was Macias' 12 multi-hit game of the season...It was also his fifth multi-RBI game...Perez had his tenth multi RBI game...He is now 3-for-8 with the bases loaded with eight RBI, two doubles and a home run...The Chiefs are 6-1 on Mondays and 4-0 at home...Huseby leads the team with 25 games pitched...He is now tied for fifth on OBF single season saves list with eight home saves and is the 35th player in Chiefs history to get 10 saves in a season...The Chiefs win the season series against Fort Wayne 4-2, it is the first time Peoria has won the season series between the two teams since 2001...Peoria is 13-10 in day games this season...The Chiefs have a day off on Tuesday before they hit the road for a six game road trip...Peoria will begin their three-game series against West Michigan on Wednesday at 6:00 pm...The Chiefs will send RH Aaron Shafer (6-5, 4.92) opposed by Whitecaps LH Casey Crosby (7-2, 3.07)...The game can be heard starting with the pre-game show at 5:45 pm on 96.5 ESPN Radio and www.peoriachiefs.com.
Midwest League Stories from July 13, 2009
- Pugh Makes First Start of Season - Beloit Snappers
- Putkonen, clutch hits give 'Caps win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bees come stinging back to win - Burlington Bees
- Bees come back, take rubber match 7-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits pull off another extra-inning win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps fade in 5-2 loss to Peoria - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Chiefs Take Series with 5-2 Win Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels complete sweep of Dragons, 6-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Conclude Road Trip with Convincing Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Cougars Blanked by Loons in Finale - Kane County Cougars
- Kernels Defeat Dragons 6-2 on Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Nieves and Rattlers Have a Nice Day - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hawks End Strong Road Trip with Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Nunez Suspended, Perez Promoted - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Mega-Candy Drop will make kids' wildest dreams come true! - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Huge Homestand on the Horizon for Whitecaps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Playoff Tickets Go On Sale Tomorrow, July 14th - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Figueroa Named MWL Hitter of the Week - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Mega Candy Drop at Modern Wooman Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Gameday July 13th - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.