Chico Oultaws Pitcher Kris Honel Throws No Hitter
(Tijuana, MX. May 23, 2010) Kris Honel led the Chico Outlaws to a victory in the first game of a doubleheader on Sunday at Cerro Colorado Stadium in Tijuana as he shut down the Cimarrones without giving up a hit enroute to a complete game shutout. Striking out 10 and walking just three against a Tijuana lineup full of major league and AAA experienced hitters, Honel became just the second pitcher to throw a no-hitter in the six years of the Golden League.
"Kris was absolutely dominating this afternoon," said Outlaws manager Garry Templeton. "They had no answer for what he was dealing today."
The accomplishment was even more noteworthy as Tijuana boasts a lineup loaded with professional hitters such as Leonel Torres (AAA), Jackson Melian (AAA), Ivan Ochoa (MLB), Juan Melo (MLB), and Kit Pellow (MLB).
Honel, 26, was drafted in the first round out of high school by the Chicago White Sox in 2001 as the 16th overall pick. He progressed to Double-A in three years and was in major league spring training with the White Sox in 2004, but then arm trouble ultimately led to Tommy John surgery. He returned and pitched in AA the last two seasons before being released and signed up the Edmonton Capitals in the Golden Baseball League last season.
In a strange twist of fate regarding the sad demise of Jose Lima on Sunday, Honel was involved in the biggest trade in the Golden League last year as Edmonton and Long Beach swapped aces as Honel went to the Armada while Long Beach ace Lima was dealt to Edmonton.
The only other no-hitter in the GBL was also thrown by a Chico pitcher when Seth Johnson blanked the Japan Samurai Bears in 2005.
The Chico Outlaws open their sixth season this Wednesday, May 26th at home when they take on the Tijuana Cimarrones at 6:35pm. Tickets are still available for opening night and all 2010 Chico Outlaws home games. Ticket can be purchased online by clicking here, at the Chico Outlaws office located at 313 Walnut Street Suite 110, or by calling 530-345-3210. For more information, please visit the Chico Outlaws website at www.ChicoOutlaws.com.
Golden Baseball League Stories from May 24, 2010
- Four-Run First Leads to Victory - Calgary Vipers
- Outlaws Knuckler Yoshida Supports Habitat Women Build Project - Chico Outlaws
- The Hits Just Keep on Coming - Orange County Flyers
- Capitals Bounce Back with First Shutout of the Year - Edmonton Capitals
- Chico Oultaws Pitcher Kris Honel Throws No Hitter - Chico Outlaws
- Chico Outlaws Pitcher Kris Honel Hurls No-Hitter Against Tijuana - GBL
- Edmonton Capitals June Promotional Schedule Unveiled - Edmonton Capitals
- Make Money With The Scorpions - Yuma Scorpions
- Vipers Pitcher Delivers Outstanding Performance For Win Over Toros - Calgary Vipers
- Toros Bats Go Cold Along With The Weather In 6-0 Shutout - Tucson Toros
- Capitals Suffer Loss In Yuma Series Opener - Edmonton Capitals
- Chicago Outlaws Sweep Doubleheader - Chico Outlaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.