Chicago Fire Sign Midfielder Bruno Marques Menezes
BRIDGEVIEW, IL (June 29, 2007) - Chicago Fire Soccer announced today the signing of Brazilian midfielder Bruno Marques Menezes, acquired from Sao Carlos FC of the Compeonato Paulista Serie A3 in Brazil. Per Major League Soccer policy, terms of the contract were not released. The Fire used one of its five Discovery player slots to bring in Menezes.
The 23-year-old Brazilian will be classified as a Youth International alongside Fire defender Osei Telesford of Trinidad and Tobago and fellow Brazilian Willian Oliveira. With the signing, the Fire has filled all three of their Youth International roster spots. Menezes (pronounced me-NEZ-ez) will be available for selection on Sunday, July 1, for the Fire's match against the Colorado Rapids.
"We are happy to add Bruno to our roster," said interim head coach Denis Hamlett. "He has been training with us for awhile now and during that process we've been able to see he's a player that can help us for the rest of the season. He's versatile, he can play right wing or right back. With Thiago and Willian already here, I think it will help him easily adapt to our team and the league."
Menezes is the third Brazilian on the Fire's roster, joining Thiago, and Oliveira. The outside right midfielder is fast and tireless on the flank, carries the ball with confidence, and is attentive to both sides of the transition. He joins the Fire after spending a year with Sao Carlos FC (2007) and Uniao Sao Joao (2006), and spending three years with Mogi Mirim (2002-2005).
35 Bruno Marques Menezes
Height: 5'10'' (1.77 m)
Weight: 161 lbs. (73 kg)
Born: March 20, 1984 in Santos, Brazil
Hometown: Santos, Brazil
Last Club: Sao Carlos FC (Paulista Serie A3)
How Acquired: Signed as a Discovery Player on 6-29-07
Major League Soccer Stories from June 29, 2007
- Chivas USA releases forward Matt Taylor, signs goalkeeper Justin Myers - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Fourth of July Match Sold Out - Colorado Rapids
- Fire Host Rapids Sunday Night at Toyota Park - Chicago Fire
- MLS Weekly Preview & Broadcast Info - MLS
- Chicago Fire Sign Midfielder Bruno Marques Menezes - Chicago Fire
- Kansas City Wizards Host Toronto FC, Hoping to Snap Three-Game Winless Streak - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United acquire Greg Vanney in exchange for Facundo Erpen - D.C. United
- Dynamo Tickets for David Beckham Game Now On-Sale - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Acquire Argentine Defender Facundo Erpen - Colorado Rapids
- New Faces Join TFC - Toronto FC
- Nothing But Nets and MLS W.O.R.K.S. Team Up to Fight Malaria - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.