Chicago Fire Acquire Midfielder Joel Lindpere
CHICAGO, Ill. (Jan. 4, 2013) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced Friday that the club has acquired Joel Lindpere from the New York Red Bulls in exchange for a 2013 International Roster Spot. Per team and MLS policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"Joel is a versatile, dependable player that has proven himself in MLS," said Fire President of Soccer Operations Javier Leon. "He will provide a dynamic presence to our team in 2013 as we look to return to the MLS Cup Playoffs."
The Estonian International made his professional debut for Estonian Meistriliiga side JK Nõmme Kalju in 1997, scoring 14 goals in just seven games. He also represented Estonian sides Lelle SK, FC Flora and FC Valga. In 2004 he transferred to Bulgarian side CSKA Sofia where he made 11 appearances. From 2007-09, Lindpere scored five goals in 75 appearances for Norwegian side Tromso IL before joining the Red Bulls in 2010.
A product of Tallinn, Estonia, Lindpere made his international debut for Estonia on Nov. 1, 1999 in a friendly against the United Arab Emirates. He scored his first international goal on Feb. 18, 2004 in a 1-0 win over Moldova, and has since scored five goals in 83 total appearances for his country.
The Fire host Opening Day at Toyota Park against the New England Revolution on Saturday, March 9. The Men in Red will begin their 16th season on the road the previous week when they visit two-time defending MLS Cup Champions LA Galaxy at the Home Depot Center on Sunday, March 3.
Chicago Fire Season Tickets and #cf97withdrawals Winter Packs, which give fans the opportunity to witness the Men in Red in action on Opening Day while donning the four Fire hats and four pairs of Fire gloves included in the pack, are available by calling 1-888-MLS-FIRE, via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at www.Chicago-Fire.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 4, 2013
- Revolution's Road Match At Colorado Re-Scheduled - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Trade Joel Lindpere to Chicago Fire - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Acquire Midfielder Joel Lindpere - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Delegation to Visit Tanzania - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Re-Sign Goalkeeper Steward Ceus - Colorado Rapids
- Chivas USA Supporters Group, Union Ultras, Celebrates 'Dia De Reyes' with Toy Giveaway - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Announce Preseason Schedule - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Italian Midfielder Andrea Pisanu Joins Impact - Montreal Impact
- Red Bulls Terminate Contract for Midfielder Victor Palsson - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.