Charge Acquire Johnson and Draft Pick from Mad Ants
The Canton Charge have acquired forward/center JaJuan Johnson (6'10", 208, Purdue) and a first round choice in the 2013 NBA Development League Draft from the Fort Wayne Mad Ants in exchange for the rights to Luke Harangody and their third round draft choice in the 2013 NBA D-League Draft. Harangody was acquired by Canton today using their waiver preference position.
Johnson was originally a first round selection (27th overall) by the Celtics in the 2011 NBA Draft. He played in 36 games with the Boston Celtics in 2011-12 and averaged 3.2 points on .446 shooting with 1.6 rebounds and 0.4 blocks in 8.3 minutes per game. JaJuan has played in 13 games (all starts) with Fort Wayne this season and is averaging 13.2 points on .397 shooting with 8.9 rebounds, 1.3 steals and 2.2 blocks in 35.2 minutes per game. He has season-highs of 24 points, 14 rebounds and seven blocks and has posted five double-doubles in his 13 games played this season.
In his four-year career at Purdue University (2007-11), he played in 140 games (117 starts) and averaged 13.7 points on .500 shooting with 6.1 rebounds, 1.9 blocks and 0.7 steals in 27.5 minutes per game. He was a consensus First Team All-American during his senior campaign, where he played in 34 games (33 starts) and averaged 20.5 points on .494 shooting with 8.6 rebounds, 2.3 blocks and 0.9 steals in 35.4 minutes per game.
Johnson will not be in uniform, but will be with the team for tonight's game against Tulsa at 7:30 p.m. at the Canton Memorial Civic Center. Canton will have until Sunday to waive or place a player on the inactive list in conjunction with the transaction.
NBA Development League Stories from December 28, 2012
- Santa Cruz Warriors Sweep Springfield Armor - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Rough Shooting Night Downs Stampede - Idaho Stampede
- Charge Get Back on Track with Win over 66ers - Canton Charge
- Reno Bighorns Top Stampede - Reno Bighorns
- Energy defeat D-Fenders - Iowa Energy
- Skyforce Falls to Red Claws - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- D-Fenders Slip up Versus Energy - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Tulsa Comes up Short in Canton - Tulsa 66ers
- Indiana Pacers Re-Assign Miles Plumlee to NBA D-League Affiliate Fort Wayne - D-League
- BayHawks Corral the Toros, 105-91 - Erie BayHawks
- Charge Acquire Johnson and Draft Pick from Mad Ants - Canton Charge
- Ants Acquire Harangody - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- BayHawks Acquire Guard - Erie BayHawks
- Cavaliers Assign Samuels to Charge - Canton Charge
- Golden State Warriors Recall Kent Bazemore & Jeremy Tyler from Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Cleveland Cavaliers Assign Samardo Samuels to NBA D-League Affiliate Canton Charge - D-League
- Stampede Acquire Alabi - Idaho Stampede
- 66ers Acquire Guard Chris Quinn - Tulsa 66ers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Springfield Armor - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.