Chacin's Solid Outing Leads Sky Sox to 11-2 Win over Albuquerque
Jhoulys Chacin (1-1) tossed seven outstanding innings in his second, and most likely final, rehab start with the Sky Sox as Colorado Springs (66-60) beat up on the Albuquerque Isotopes (72-54) 11-2 on Thursday night at Security Service Field in front of 2,497 spirited fans.
Chacin was on top of his game and efficient with his pitches as he worked into the eighth inning and threw just 91 pitches, 55 strikes. He tossed seven shutout innings to start the game and was pulled after giving up an infield single to Tony Gwynn Jr. to start the eighth. Reliever Zach Putnam came on and gave up a RBI double to Ivan De Jesus Jr. to allow Gwynn Jr. to score and break up the shutout. In his two rehab starts with the Sky Sox, Chacin gave up just four runs in 13.2 innings of work (2.63 ERA) to go along with five walks and five strikeouts.
At the plate, the Sox gave Chacin more than enough support as they scored 11 runs on 15 hits. Three runs came across in the first inning on a Tommy Field sac fly and back-to-back RBI singles by Brendan Harris and Chad Tracy. Harris struck again in the third with a monster two-run homer to left to make it 5-0. Five more runs crossed the plate in the fifth with Harris driving in his fourth run of the game with a single, Tracy and Charlie Culberson each doubling in one and Wilkin Castillo blasting a two-run homer.
The 10-0 lead lasted till the 8th when the Isotopes broke up the shutout. After De Jesus Jr. doubled in the first run, the final run scored on a dropped fly ball by Andrew Brown.
Field drove in a late insurance run in the bottom of the 8th on a RBI single to make it 11-2. Harris ended the night 3-for-4 with three runs scored and four RBI and Tracy went 4-for-4.
Stephen Fife (9-6) took the loss for Albuquerque after giving up nine runs on 11 hits in 4.2 innings of work.
The final game of the four-game series is set for tomorrow night at 7:05 PM (MDT). LH Nick Schmidt (4-3, 7.24) will take the hill for the Sky Sox opposite RH Will Savage (10-5, 5.94).
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 16, 2012
- 'Topes Blown out by Sky Sox, 11-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno Gets By RedHawks, 5-1 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Memphis Edges Salt Lake - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Win in Extras on Two Tacoma Miscues - Nashville Sounds
- Chacin's Solid Outing Leads Sky Sox to 11-2 Win over Albuquerque - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sacramento Slows Streaking Z's with 8-1 Loss - New Orleans Zephyrs
- River Cats Blow out Zephyrs, 8-1 - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express Begin Final Home Stand Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Ramirez Joins I-Cubs, Chapman to D.L. - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Game Notes: August 16, 2012 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Reno Aces (Arizona Diamondbacks) - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Playoff Push Peaks During Next Homestand - Albuquerque Isotopes
- River Cats Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Sacramento River Cats
- Omaha Storm Chasers Home for Nine Games from August 18-26 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Takes 14-1 Win over Reno - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Express Keep Rolling at Reno 14-1 - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Blank Padres, Win Second Straight - Iowa Cubs
- Cubs defeat Padres 4-0 - Tucson Padres
- Las Vegas Walks off with Win over Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Isotopes Score in 6 Straight Innings to Smother Sox 11-5 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Zephyrs Shut-Out Sacramento 3-0 - New Orleans Zephyrs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.